Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tezza, Jul 21, 2010.

?

Did anyone realise we have an Election in August?

1. Greens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. labour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. liberal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. independents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

8)My cousins husband Blake Buchannan is having a crack at the blue ribbon liberal seat of Bradfield (mr palmers party)
    He does grow vvvvvvvvvvvvery hot chillies!!

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep all for naught annette,

if things go the way they appear to be going. over there.

another reason for fuel corp' greed to gouge us.

len

3. annette

annette Junior Member

well not for nothing, for big corporate and elite interests I would suggest. No one wants strikes on Syria, but they are trying to justify it. More oil for the west, more money for the military industrial complex, more ego stroking....................antagonise Iran, Russia and China, destabilise the whole area............

Oil price is spiking this morning. This election crap pails into insignificance when you think what is at stake for humanity if this gets out of hand. Just try and have peace in the heart I suppose, it's about all we can do.

4. gardenlen

but annette the war machine makes money out of human suffering, they are the little thought of greedy corporates the gov's have in their hip pockets, like when aus' goes nuclear for power that makes the US corp industry happy. they have mega mega bucks seconded away for such events no money for health and dental but hey bring on a stouch.

len

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

What is 'a secular constitution', Len? Could you please provide an example? Thanks, Mark.

6. gardenlen

i can't believe this question mark,

you pointed out to me that our constitution was secular since early 1900's

so you already know, and you already have said the constitution is only secular by name, and on and on you explained

so reckon you are more able to provide examples.

len

7. ecodharmamark

Thanks, Len. So when you stated that 'a secular constitution won't encourage unity all are failing', you didn't have any examples in mind? Pity, I would have liked to have studied them, to see why they are failing. On the topic of secularism in Australia, I found this recent commentary rather interesting. Cheerio, Markos

8. gardenlen

that's a slightly different question mark,

yes australia for one we have become a very disjointed country, no one has anything solid to aim for so they live the life of doing because they can, they care not for the rest of us, they spend like their is no tomorrow and they use resources that we all get to pay the price for.

bangladesh the people there lived under the misconception that they were in a hindu culture country, but alas they are a secular country now being dominated by another group, are they happy no way jose.

now we have spoken along these lines before, when i see at least 4 flags flying from gov' buildings we are not a united nation of people, we are individuals or groups who do it their way because they can.

easy peasy friend they fail because they are divided

len

9. gardenlen

mark of course this is interesting:

you said: " I found this recent commentary rather interesting"

and you have said it before, the content of the link isn't having much effect on aussies as they worship sport and themselves. also just writing the word secular in the constitution won't stop those churches, there are lots out their living their past roots, and the church is the head of the united nation, this is where your wisdom does not come from. oh! and it has little to do with the bigger picture in australia. lots of people are looking for some thing missing in their lives the church car parks are filling.

you and others need to get rid of the dislike bias and get wise, this is one big issue that will block your community type spirit.

people want peace safety and contentment not massive wealth.

anyhow what you offer at this rate will forever be a dream.

len

10. ecodharmamark

And you would like all to attempt to unite under what exactly?

11. ecodharmamark

And what exactly is it that you offer?

12. gardenlen

you are teh one offering a difference mark, at this moment because of lack of wisdom and maybe maturity along people being to worldly, i offer nothing that anyone else can't find for themselves. i really care for change for all of us just not australia or a local community or 2, i have tried to talk with you but all you do is turn things a bit and respond with a question, this is for you to show your true bona fides, not fog off.

get real lets do some bu llit biting.

len

13. ecodharmamark

14. ecodharmamark

Sorry, my bad, the above is for the 'handicap'. In reality, this mob have already called it:

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/bettin...n-In-Government-575056.html#accordion-8744929

However, if you still wanted to lay a bet, the odds are: Coalition 1.02, Labor 12.50.

Looks very much like bye bye Kevin, hello Tony :(.

15. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

GreaT we can get back to permaculture

16. annette

annette Junior Member

Well it looks increasingly likely that the LNP will win the House of Reps. My hope is that everyone does not vote the same way in the Senate. At least with the balance of power resting in the Senate outside the majority in the lower house, there might be some control on woeful government legislation.

Time to get off the grid if possible.

17. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Truly baffling isn't it annette. It is something I have difficulty understanding. It reminds me of a time when i was travelling in Greece... I was never bought up to be religious, even though we nominally 'belonged to a church' and went to Sunday school. I always thought of God and stuff as being metaphorical. I never imagined Heaven and Hell to be actual places. I met an American bloke who described to me how he thought/knew them to be real, physical places. It had never occurred to me before and I was genuinely shocked. It was a real insight into how different each persons internal universe can be. It has made a difference in my deals with others ever since and it helps me to understand that people have very different views even if I can't actually understand them. The thought process that would lead someone to vote for one of these conservative parties is almost as foreign to me as the idea of Heaven and Hell being real physical spaces. Finding my self in either of those places would surprise me as much as if one of these two parties lead us into a brave new world...

Having said all of that, the way I see it is that either of the old major parties is the same outcome...

Perhaps it is for the best that the LNP get in and create a truly disastrous government. Not bad enough that they do any real deep and lasting damage, but stuff up enough to make people realise they have to make a real change... You know, a real low point that creates a fire from which a phoenix must emerge. "The recession we had to have" sort of thing. I'm looking at it as a glass half full.

In the back of mind mind, I also hold the possibility that I am completely wrong about all of this, Environmental change, real democracy, permaculture, God, Heaven, Hell, all of it. I may be totally wrong and I may be headed to a hot and nasty place

18. annette

annette Junior Member

If there is a hell Grahame, I'm sure you won't be visiting!

I don't find it all that baffling really. Most people are sucked in to mainstream media mind games. Combine that with some of the labor party's stuff ups and it's a bit like a royalist "off with their heads!"

I think that most who truly reflect and think about things from a humanities point of view realise that the major political parties have succumbed to the populist platforms, been compromised by powerful groups, and will do just about anything to regain or gain power in the political arena. To me it all seems too superficial. It's like people have been herded by some unseen force to only thinking about things within a certain frame of reference and anything outside of that is not seen or considered. Is it instant gratification? Give me this or I'll vote for the other? Is it that people are so sucked into the treadmill of working to pay the mortgage or rent and survive that they can't think outside of that?
    Have we been dumbed down by fluoride in the water, chemicals in the food or seduced by the myriads of distractions that modern life offers?

I don't know. There is so much going on I doubt that many can even comprehend the magnitude of it all.

I get constantly torn between being peaceful within myself and just being there, and raging against the machine so to speak.

19. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Oh yeah, that one I know all too well!

I know which one feels better, but I'm not always able to choose it...

20. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Have you checked on the crazy Milne ?