Designs/plans for 2 houses with combined greenhouse

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Ev, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Ev

Ev Junior Member

My current house is getting old and of poor design has got me thinking about upgrading.

Basically have a 728m2 block and I while I would love to build my dream house however I lack funds, also I find the current yard to big anyway.

So I am thinking subdivide but between the houses a large greenhouse.(50% shade profile roofing to suit our warm sun)

I imagine if done right it would provide good heating/cooling as well as allowing me to garden comfortably rain/hail or shine.

The other house would either be rented or sold hopefully to someone who likes the idea also.

It seems too perfect... what would be the downfalls?

And secondly anyone know where I can get some design ideas or plans for such developments?

I believe in England houses with attached greenhouses are more common perhaps this sort of thing is done over there?

2. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Re: Designs/plans for 2 houses with combined greenhouse

I'm guessing you mean more of a shadehouse than a greenhouse?

I know that my council doesn't allow structures to join between neighbouring buildings. Possibly to prevent fire and pest spread? Not sure.

Your best bet would be to talk to your local council about the feasibility of your plans. It won't cost anything just to chat to a town planner. 728 m2 sounds pretty small to be subdividing (i.e. separate titles), but creating 'villas' (freestanding homes on the same block) should be possible. You'd then have a body corporate to handle the management of the buildings and common areas if you chose to sell the other villa, but you wouldn't need a body corporate if you kept both.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

I'd be looking at doing the second house as an extension and then renting. If you subdivide you will eventually have no control over who lives there and how they share the greenhouse garden. Or where you thinking it would stay with your title?

A good idea though :)

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Council :!: :( :(