Designing a backyard

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Brown grnthumb, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Brown grnthumb

Brown grnthumb Junior Member

I don't post often on ehre since I don't like to ask alot of questions but I need some help.

A friend is giving me free-range to do his entire backyard using any method I want so long as he doesn't have to do much work; the soil is loamy high in organic matter and as far as I can tell hasn't had anything on it other then weeds (Its various residents never bothered putting in a lawn but they did bring in topsoil).

Its so much to do for me since I've never done anything more then a little patches of permaculture inspired gardening throughout what little land

* Update: I finally got Permaculture I in and after reading both I & II and trying to memorize what I read in the designers manual I am still confused and not sure if everything can be replicated. I'm wondering if I should till the soil just to start everything or to stay no till; If I should simple mound earth and compost over cardboard then simply plant and mulch; Which crops I should use doing eithier method; and if there is anyone who can give me some advice if they have any experience in a zone I setting.

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: Designing a backyard

How big is the backyard? Is the garden going to be for your friend or you? What is already there? Trees? Fences? What is the aspect? Sun? Wind? Shade? Rural or urban?

I think you need to have a talk to your friend, and ask how much work he wants to do on an ongoing basis. I think this is really important because it will determine what you do with the land. i.e. maybe you put in more perennials if he doesn't want to be watering annual veges every day in the summer. You don't want to overstretch yourselves, it's not sustainable. It's ok to leave some land to the weeds, or to plant it in mulch crops, or shrubs that don't need much work. Also you don't have to do it all at once. It can be good to design the whole thing and do it in stages, but it's also ok to just have a general plan and do what is easiest or most straightforward. Generally I'd start closest to the backdoor or the most used access way, and build out from that.

What are you wanting the garden to yield?

4. Brown grnthumb

Brown grnthumb Junior Member

Re: Designing a backyard

Well my friend work's alot and isn't home alot; he wants to start growing stuff, knows that I am looking to practice (since I can't in my own home), have the strength and determination and the fact that he is as lazy as a sack of potatoes don't help :lol:

I'll probably be the upkeeper for a time but as the garden progresses I believe he'll start getting a greenthumb and I'll simply backoff. He is financing and a friend and I will be searching for a place to get topsoil and organic compost in a large amount.

The yard is around the same length as the area worked by you; with a narrow meter wide side yard on its left (which is in continual shade) and 2m wide side yard extending about 4 or 5m to the gate. Its facing NE which means half of the yard is in complete shade for most of the day until evening and on its eastern corner there is a area about a meter wide in continual shade from a neighboring everything else is in direct sunlight.

Its suburban and we get about 441mm of rain a year mostly dec. thru feb.; average highs of 34.4 c and lows of 2.2c. I've read its somewhat like Perth or Adelaide. There are not major pests the worst being slugs and there are no pets to disturb the yard. The weeds and grasses have been shopped and there are no rocks to worry about.

He'll be happy with anything really that will grow, though wants some climbing yams he's aunt grows. Although I am not too fond of them, typical plants like carrots, tomato, lettuce, various berries would probably be best. My other friend wants a herbal area probably on the shady corner to drink her various teas she wants an "English Garden" feel to it.

This is mostly being done because I want to get some experience and with help from another friend for things like a truck and some knowledge in growing food I hope to get started in the next few days.