"Desert on Hold" - superlatives ad infinitum - your dream right now?

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by kimbo.parker, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

i searched for years to find it - i fluked ownership - i gave up working to love it fully -
    i designed it for life, it is beyond Permaculuture,
    and I found after a decade, it was not for my life time.

now my beloved 'in a class of its own' is for sale - and thanks to Europe (bastards!) it is on the market at least $100k less than it should.

some CUB ( Cashed up Bogan ) will probably grab it and flatten my Oaks with motorbikes.....
    or use my private wildlife reserve for shooting.
    probably mismanage the lot,,,,

either way, some undeserving bastard is going to get heaven for a song....
    check it;

https://bit.ly/poppo-hobby-farm

ps Preferential treatment for Pagans - no shit - Qualify yourself as a tree person and i will make it worth your while.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    That's a beautiful bit of land kimbo, and a great outline in the pdf (no mention of permaculture?).

Good luck, and best wishes with what you do next :)

3. kimbo.parker

pebs...you know my take on Permaculture :) bit 'old school' luv;)
    a bit pedestrian, a bit 'all touch and no contact'......some gardening thing isn't it?

" Desert on Hold " - an Agrarian masterpiece would not look better painted with yesterdays 'Amway of Environmentalism' would it?

Granted there is an argument about the appropriateness of putting it here, with 'that' attitude....but i have the 'heart' element covered....

" i imagine there is a young version of me out there - i just want to 'save' the lil fella, you know;) "

thank you for kind words on the sale presentation ....
    perhaps i should put. ...As recommended by PEBBLE

or even better idea, give PP the bloomin cream separator in exchange for his coveted endorsement -

i'm thinking more along the lines of '" the sort of place where 999 out of 1000 Permaculture Designers would choose not to live "
    - hence no Permaculture on the presentation.

4. kimbo.parker

Very Few Pioneers

( rhythm of ‘Bush Christening’ by A.B.Patterson)

Out west of popo, where the livin is slow, and decent folks scarce as the rain,
    where the suns in your eyes as well as the flies and the heat is more than a pain

was a sight to behold and a story be-told of a strange mob ferals we’d call them
    they avoided the best, had contempt for the rest- there was a look and smell about em.

the bloke ,he was mad and the girls just as bad, their run had signs that were threatnin
    the town realised to late, once they’d chained shut the gate- they’d have a dam job to move em.

the shire had a go, putting on a fine show, with inspectors and letters with threats,
    the ‘cockys’ and town, got seriously down, to ridding the place of these pests

of good country stock all part of the flock, the good book there to guide them
    these folk would go, they’d help them to know , here weren’t the place to hide in.

nine years went by doesn’t time fly, and the ferals they finely quit,
    the chains off the gate , i swear to ya mate, the townsfolk …..they fairly shit.

their run was the best, it was gods flippen nest, with paddocks dams and trees
    they’d been keeping sheep, killing their meat and growing all else for there needs

with a love you could tell they’d hand dug a well, caught rain, run a pump, piped to tanks,
    their catchment sublime could have been a dam shrine, for the future – to give thanks!

where crops were sown, and passion known amid doubtless dark and fears,

history shows, when the knowledge goes – there are very few pioneers.

by kimbo Jan 2011

5. kimbo.parker

Feral (subculture)

This article is about the Australasian subculture.

The feral subculture is a counter-cultural social movement originating in the latter part of the twentieth century, mainly centred in Australasia. The movement reached its heyday in the mid 1990s, in parallel with other similar movements in Europe and elsewhere. In common with those movements, the feral phenomenon can be seen as part of the wider counterculture.

In Australasia, the ferals are often seen as an amalgam of the punk and hippie subcultures, with a radical environmental philosophy. The movement, during the 1990s, was the subject of national attention, and as a phenomenon has been the subject of anthropological attention as....
    a characteristically Australian “alternative lifestyle”.

6. kimbo.parker

It is not a disability, dysfunction or disorder, it is a choice…

Ferals 2)

It is not a disability, dysfunction or disorder, it is a choice…

mind you, it could be a choice made under duress or a choice made of few options.
    when your options of playing the game are limited to the only game in town – where is the freedom?
    The freedom is in the ‘box marked dissent’…..

In its most recent edition, The Macquarie Dictionary recognises as ‘feral’: ‘a person who espouses environmentalism to the point of living close to nature in more or less primitive conditions and who deliberately shuns the normal code of society with regard to dress, habitat, hygiene, etc’.

7. kimbo.parker

A familiar persona dwelling on the edges of Australian culture is now ‘on the record’. Though more silhouette than profile, we are presented with a verification of the presence of radical ecologists disenchanted with the parent culture’s predacious impact upon the natural world, who challenge classical scientific efforts to snuff out its mystery, who object to monotheistic religions deferring responsibility to transcendent creators, who adopt alternative lifestyle strategies.
    The definition hints at an emergent sub-cultural milieu identifying with, and defending the rights of, indigenous ecology and peoples — natural and cultural heritage.

It implicates thousands of Australians who have ‘gone feral’.

8. kimbo.parker

help, tongue wont stop.....

Explorations reveal a largely, though not exclusively, middle class cultural formation attracting those actively devoted to the celebration and protection of landscapes threatened by resource development interests, and just plain old consumptive greed.

The global environment of Reaganomics and Thatcherism triggered the emergence of post-seventies eco-apocalyptic movements. In 1980, with their doctrine of ‘no-compromise in defence of planet Earth’, the environmental millenarian movement Earth First! emerged in the US. By the early nineties, Britain was experiencing the presence of eco-tribal Travellers like the Dongas.
    In the local context, a contemporary face of defiance percolated throughout the eighties, and by the end of that decade, it had a name — ‘feral’

9. kimbo.parker

On the fringes of this trend lies radical ecologism

This system of discourse and practice has several elements:

an acute awareness of rampant eco-devastation under the colonialist imperatives of modernity;

an ecocentric attachment to native biotic communities;

a personal and prescriptive ethical anti-consumerism;

a ‘DiY culture’ of celebration and defence,

and; gravitation towards decentralised cooperatives (benefiting from permacultural, organic and biodynamic farming).

The coupling of global consciousness with decentrist habitudes is enshrined in the maxim of the Nimbin Star Earth Tribe’s Tipi Village Sanctuary: ‘think globally — go tribally’, perhaps the feral catch cry.

Critical discourse propagates a distinctive confrontational attitude. Not necessarily desiring isolation (like the communitarian experiments of the 1960s and ‘70s), or ‘disappearance’ (as has been described of ravers of the 1980s and ‘90s)
    ferality is about obstructing, boycotting, desiring and actively promoting change.

This culture of resistance seems to have fomented two types of role: protester and educator. The former are inspired by non violent direct action (NVDA), often thought to distinguish contemporary activists from hippies, who are rather unfairly typified as passive. This provocative ‘new warrior spirit’ is sometimes extended to incorporate diplomacy, mediation and commitment to the latter, educational, role.

[if] you’re not interacting with lots of people and you’re living in a little plot of rainforest and you’re just sprouting your own sprouts — you’ve got you’re own simple herb garden and you’re completely isolated from other people and temptation — then you’re not the ideal feral.....

but you sure look good man:)

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Dear Kimbo how I've missed you. You have to be one of the most intelligent people I know. You remind me of Phaedrus from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance....

11. kimbo.parker

eco, every time you compliment me i get the feeling that i am subtley being pissed on.
    phaedrus was loopy - very disturbed - questioning the essence of quality - --
    phaedrus was the sane guys condition.....ask his son.
    when phaedrus left, problem solved.

and i'm like him huh?
    you are doing some reverse psychology thing they taught you in mod school?
    and i cut and paste from wiki
    you know this, you know i know you know this, and you know that i know that you know ,i know this...
    i can only conclude that you are testing me , seeing if i will take the kudos for anothers work....this is strange, because you know id know this, and i know that you know i know this, and even you know i know you know i know you know.

the poem was mine, maybe a comment and annotation on the other....but not mine!
    ah shit......conniving woman!!!!!
    his article in its original form by Graham St John;

like a frgn rash

:)

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Probably not, but I was thinking more about expanding the number of potential buyers rather than characterising what you have done with the land in a certain way.

I think it's not only appropriate that you posted here on PRI, but essential ;-)

13. kimbo.parker

Pebbles; your right....

The trouble with presenting 'Desert on Hold' in a Permaculture context is.....although the entire thing is a Permculture reaction, it is pure systems design.

without wanting to cast dispersions; i reckon it would be unrecognisable to most Permaculturalists because it has jack shit to do with gardens, and is (again) systems design.

i don't want this war again.

i will present the systems design - it will take a day at least, and I will not be sleeping easy tonight, as my mind loops back on it....

i know why i would do this; and it is not to sell 'Desert on Hold' ; my motives are suspect.:)

14. kimbo.parker

did it, now how to put it up...pdf wont fit, i'm gonna have to cut and paste.

Permaculture designer; K. Parker
    Client; K. Parker and families.

Design Brief; priorities flagged to 10.

Overarch
    ; One family; 2 parents, 4 pre adult sons, one daughter (pending).....seek a landscape to
    establish a permanent family base, a village, which will serve generations of the family to come.

Longevity
    (flag 9)
    A place of such longevity and future relevance that it motivates to plant trees that take a lifetime to
    grow and yield.
    Could it be possible to actually have an Oak Forest of generational significance to one family, one
    tribe, one village that starts with us today? Could the future of my descendants be significantly
    'enhanced',,,could the peasant propel his descendants into the nobility by an act of courageous fore
    sight a generation earlier?

Sanctuary (flag 9)
    A place that was a sanctuary; out, away, distant, hidden, inconspicuous. Not near a population
    centre!...the resilience of the design must not be compromised by 'out of context shit'
    like strangers, neighbours, other people.

Empowered
    to consider the house paradigm. (flag 7)
    A landscape without a house, can not afford a house, don't want a house, big enough to hide in if the
    authorities came looking for a door to knock on. We want to test the 'house paradigm'.

Water Wealth/ Independence
    (flag 9)
    A landscape that offered great water catchment, harvesting, transportation and storage options.
    Serious topographical considerations – slope! Is imperative. The landscape and the design must
    provide total water independence – no mains water. The objective is water abundance, water wealth.

Food Wealth / Independence
    (flag 9)
    Village scale food gardens, a total rethink of food starting with facing the responsibility of meat
    eating. If we would eat an animal, we would know that animal, we would kill it, we would know
    always the guilt. We didn't just want to meet the meat, we wanted relationship. The landscape would
    need cleared country, so we could fence paddocks for stock.....any all and every.

Fuel Independence
    (flag 7
    The landscape would need to support tree plantations for fuel – heating, cooking for ever free.

Recreation / Distraction (flag 8 )
    The landscape, estate, village needs to provide all our recreation and distraction. The old notion of
    'going out' for distraction is a consumptive burden. We aim to find total occupation on site. If we do
    it well, going out will always offer less and cost more. Population density in the city and burbs
    make all public places inherently dangerous. We aim, not to bring our children to those places.

The Kids, the Grand kids
    . (flag 10)
    It is all turning to shit. I grew up in the burbs, I can make this call. It is dangerous, deadly, dirty,
    perverted. It aint the place for kids to play. This would not be for our mob running wild and free on
    a private landscape. Set it up well, have tennis courts, swimming holes, tarzan swings, flying foxes,
    heaps of bikes, footies, cricket stuff, forts and cubbies. Paddocks for kites, animals and things to
    ride . Lots of musical instruments, craft, pottery, spinning, weaving, growing, cooking.....we will
    teach, they will learn different, they will be better off.

15. kimbo.parker

Energy Wealth/ Independence (flag 8 ) we want to own our systems of energy production
    transmission and storage. Solar, wind, hydro, any and all. We want to invent, adapt, and fudge our
    energy production to achieve an energy wealth – by implication this involves having more than
    most.

The Economic Rationale (flag 7) the design, from the onset shall in no way be compromised by
    any economic rationale. If there is not a dollar in it, if it is expensive to do, if it makes absolutely
    no sense in economic terms – it is welcome and attractive and half way to being loved by us.
    In this Greedist society, if anything is uneconomical enough, it just does not exist....so we want it
    twice as much.

Full unbridled concert with nature (flag 10) non toxic, no totally shat on space....but Remnants
    and relics, damaged and abandoned, abused but hanging on – something to work with. Rural, a
    landscape, with wildlife!

Must be identifiable as part of the solution, not part of the problem
    (flag 10)

Must be original to be compliant with Krishnamurti directives
    (flag 10)

Scale;
    rural. Multi families, tribe, village,

Let us Summarise our design brief here (flags 7,8,9,10);

longevity, sanctuary, empowered to explore house paradigm, provides water wealth, food
    independence and adventure, fuel wealth independence, fulfilled recreation and distraction needs
    for lifetimes independent and free, whilst providing a space for kids to grow wild and free, many
    kids, over generations, one tribe, whilst providing energy wealth independence whilst flipping off
    any economic rationales, enjoying maximised nature, whilst satisfying Permabrain desire to be part
    of the solution whilst following his guru, who just happens to be the same guy that says follow no
    one.

16. kimbo.parker

Flags 7,8,9,10 objectives rated and stated (now for the lesser flags)

Firearms
    (flag 6) on grounds of rural and engaged in primary production – get firearms.
    Get more. Obtain an armed defensive fall back that stands a chance against say, roving gangs of bad
    men with some firepower. The risk of short term anarchy in the event that the herd has a major
    system failure, covered. Teach the kids and women to shoot, drill for defence.

Storage of Accumulated resources
    (flag 6),a private junk yard, we throw out nothing and need to
    store our machines, metals, materials and shit. Stuff checks in – it does not check out. Every kids
    bike the tribe ever owned over generations, still on the village. It is a materials resourses depot and it
    would need hard stand for some of it, shelter for some other and would likely cover acres, 2 to 5 I
    expect.....you don't ever throw anything out, over generations.

Lots of pets, lots of animals
    (flag 5) more than 5 dogs, more that 30 sheep, more that 6 cows, more
    that 100 chooks, and roosters and peacocks/hens and pheasants, pigs, but not alpaccas or horses
    seen as 'fashionable' choice. Donkeys, oxen etc.

Livestock (flag 6) distinct from pets, but not farmed in the conventional sense which translates to
    not parasited upon. The ethic confronted and met.

Communications (flag 4) mobile phone coverage, wireless broadband, radio, option of satellite
    receival , Postal service.

Access to Critical Services
    (flag 1) medical, dental, pharmacy, ?,?,? critical would want to be a
    rare event, and we would aim to make it so, hence we will go out, and out of our way to address
    critical if and when...ball park; 20 mins to hospital by fast car down sealed roads with no traffic.
    1 hour from doctor at regional centre.

Access to Compulsory Services (flag 0 ) Centrelink, schools, cops – let them come to us.

Access to Peers and support
    (flag 0 ) there's none.

Access to employment
    ( flag 0 ) zero debt strategy – bush bastards that have no insurance, no
    super, no mortgage, no expense of a house – and just seem to inhabit a landscape without a door.

An 'each-way bet',,,Survival and Prosperity
    (flag 5) a 'way' in which the family does not need to
    commit to following the old man to financial ruin just to back a survival plan.

Summery of flags 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,

wants a legal arsenal!!!!!firearms!!!more!, a junk yard, pets and livestock in number, truly packs of
    dogs, a farmers stuff without a farmers attitude, minimal communications requirements, minimal
    access requirements, flag 0! peers and support, employment, but wants an each way bet on survival
    and prosperity.....

17. kimbo.parker

design briefed, flags set, stage 1

Summary of flags 7,8,9,10
    longevity, sanctuary, empowered to explore house paradigm, provides water wealth, food
    independence and adventure, fuel wealth independence, fulfilled recreation and distraction needs
    for lifetimes independent and free, whilst providing a space for kids to grow wild and free, many
    kids, over generations, one tribe, whilst providing energy wealth independence whilst flipping off
    any economic rationales, enjoying maximised nature, whilst satisfying Permabrain desire to be part
    of the solution whilst following his guru, who just happens to be the same guy that says follow no
    one.

Summery of flags 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,

wants a legal arsenal!!!!!firearms!!!more!, a junk yard, pets and livestock in number, truly packs of
    dogs, a farmers stuff without a farmers attitude, minimal communications requirements, minimal
    access requirements, flag 0! peers and support, employment, but wants an each way bet on survival
    and prosperity.....

18. kimbo.parker

Note : nothing about gardening techniques here, and we have not commenced systems design yet,
    and when we have finished,,,,there still will be fuck all on gardening techniques....gardening
    techniques is what we can instruct kids on once serious systems design is done.

We can 'ballpark' stuff now, but we have enough to move this brief to a first stage of implementation

which involves the venue, the estate, the physical location, the demesne.

'Desert on Hold' took two years to find. Most weekends were spent looking in W.A for the site as no
    consideration of other states was given due to the family centred in W.A.
    Two years to find the place that could meet the brief.

One year of on site surveys, lines on paper, observations, early trials of species.
    Getting systems up, then getting them to interact, adding, taking away and discovery upon
    discovery of hereto unforeseen and un-designed abundance.

Getting 'Systems of Abundance' to feed into other similar systems, the sheer power, the wealth, the
    challenge .

And satisfying the brief in total – we see our systems design as no bullshit mandala garden.
    No zoned confusion, no boutique pretty ......

My client (me) got consumption down to negatives. He/they/us are simply 'producer organisms' that
    due to their activities in creating forests, thousands and thousands of trees planted, can not avoid the
    reality that they produce more clean air, energy and matter that they consume.

My client is transitioned – my client is part of the solution.
    A lazy bastard happy and liberated into systems of abundance by solid systems design.

Ofcourse, the property is fire safe, The fire break paddocks maintained by livestock.
    Cyclone safe, sheltered by ridges and smart use of feng shui
    Civil unrest safe, and probably even safe with some short term anarchy – he got his legal arsenal.

nitty gritty elements of systems are voluminous....it is not something we teach much of in
    Permaculture because it is a swirling dynamic ever changing thing that can not be 'seen' with today's
    snapshot.

It is as meaningless as the best pemaculture chook – such a beast does not exist, try telling that to a
    permaculture chook forum.

Try asking a mandala gardener what it has to do with systems design and they'll likely tell you that
    it is not about systems design and it is actually a permaculture thing, would I like to learn how?

Would I like to learn how? Bbbwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhaaahaahahaahahah

19. kimbo.parker

the coupe de grace

i even designed a way for the ferals to become financially prosperous, dam it Hell Rich!

and all they needed to do; was their own crazy shit - but they would have to do it long enough....
    long enough for thousands of sandalwood seeds to becomes sandalwood trees.

they would be protien rich way before, and would have cash flow,,,,but filthy wealth would take some time.

and the gut wrenching mind reaming reality is - the piss weak excuse for hippy's could only manage a decade when all their offspring went capitalist big time.

if i screwed that family on the design, it is because there was not enough macro predators to keep the kids down or at least scared enough to do what they're told.

anyway, the same kids came back with The Culture -
    and a compromising lack of gravitas.

:)
    k

20. kimbo.parker

so "Desert on Hold"? what is in a name.

my hippy never let go of power even when he was prepared to swap his power in quid, for power in a landscape.
    for him it was a question of different wealth and alternative wealth....but it had to be wealth.

when it struck him from time to time, as not what he'd had in mind - he got all gnarly.
    for him; wealth meant that he was absolutely removed from other peoples shit.....and although he knew there were no closed systems, he sure went about doing what he could to close it all in a benign loop.

for him, the outside was desert, his place was the desert on hold, a proto oasis that he no doubt hoped to practise a form of hydrolic despotism from.

at times like this, even i get a soft spot for the shit-head.
    his place is for sale
    https://bit.ly/poppo-hobby-farm