Davidson's Plum Jam recipe ....

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by helenlee, May 29, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thank you :)

((( hugs times 3 )))

:)

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The foxie and the kelpie will be much more useful than a stick or two….

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hmmmm back with the stinging nettles again , you could try for a spot in the Australian team for the world stinging nettle eating completion (you may be the entire team) , we could sponsor you . You have plenty to practice on it would help with your flying worries (just have a bit plate full before you take off to keep your mind off flying ) its all good .

Ive got a few patches and they grow in the food garden enough to keep it interesting but I don't fancy rolling around in them , if you dive in to them 3 days in a row you will set a pattern that will be hard to break , so carefull today or stay on that sewing machine please .

Dunno about the arthritis I get plenty of stings and my left hands been getting worse whats the treatment with them .

(Hugs) :nod:

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I was going to say that I think only valium & a lot of alcohol could help with my fear of flying, but truly, we're really looking at a general anaesthetic since they totally lost a jet recently :sweat:

The stinging nettles are interesting ... they are much more savage at some times of the year than others. At the moment, they are reasonably mild :) Believe it or not, I have actually also fallen *up* the bank into them :think: This happened when I was trying to climb up it & my feet slipped out from under me, which had the effect of planting my entire body into the vegetation on the bank, face first. When I did that little stunt the nettles were savage, & its not a lot of fun to have your face & arms stung all over I can tell you :(

Here's a couple of links I found just quickly ... & note I haven't tried any of them. I'm not particularly into pain, & i'm too broke to buy supplements:) I do make great compost tea for the garden with them though :)

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nat...rthritis-pain-zmaz02fmzgoe.aspx#axzz33RyTfmJ6

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/stinging-nettle

Hugs to you too :)

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

The foxie & the kelpie have saved my life. No joke.

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    : ) you're welcome. : )

i understand that no-fly thing, as without wings i prefer to be at ground level.

the falling uphill trick i did the last time i picked thimbleberries, they have this
    habit of falling off the plant when they are ripe at the slightest vibration and there was this large one hanging on the plant just calling out to me, i go to reach for it, step on a rock which rolled and down i went, bucket and all. as i don't really even much like thimbleberries (a bit too cloyingly sweet to me) it seemed a fitting end. the berry did fall.

we have no stinging nettle here, but globe thistles are bad enough. fall in them and you don't ever want to do it again.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So hows the jam making coming along?

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hello : ) I missed this I'm sorry ... I have a feeling I miss quite a bit on this forum : /
    I'm not sure what Thimbleberries are, but they sound beautiful : ) And 'cloyingly sweet" sounds like my kinda thang : ) I'm not sure what Globe Thistles are either : / We have Scotch Thistles, & you sure don't wanna mess with them :-! The needle bits stay excruciatingly sharp, even after they are dried & dead & disintegrated : (

How's the weather over there? I hope you have some beautiful days heading your way & that white stuff is but a memory for another year : )

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

The patient gods that look after stubborn crazy people have come knocking again & whispered that I really do need to get my textile stuff out of my spare room & onto a shop shelf - hence the change of fb profile photos from whatever I feel like to the "pretty", more marketable one : /
    So I've been back into that, on top of doing way too much physical work by myself.
    I haven't had the energy nor the desire to make jam is the naked truth : (
    I need a community. Hell, I need a WIFE! : )

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Maybe I should marry you. Pity you can't afford to keep me at home though….

11. Terra

Terra Moderator

You have the opportunity to guzzle scalded cream and you have NO jam what you thinking . Sounds like you need a permablitz to get some jobs out the way

12. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i love sweet things too, but to me thimbleberries are like raspberries, but with a different off taste that just doesn't appeal to me, like that fake red filling they put in pastries.

yep, sounds like the same sort of plant, the goldfinches love them and spread the seeds all over the place, i like the flowers too, but they are just not the kind of plant you want around if you are trying to do anything like gardening or harvesting green manure for other critters.

weather has been beautiful and sunshiney, not much rain since a few weeks ago (rain forecast for tomorrow -- i'll believe it when it happens), i'm having to plant, water and now coming into strawberry harvest time and still not all planted yet, but getting there. sister will be in town this week so i'll have the rest of today off after i get things watered. tomorrow will be off visiting rellies, then later this week Ma and Sis will take off for up north and i can get the rest of the beans planted and start some other projects that have been on hold. my hand/wrist is still healing, i just pulled something in my foot, my knee hurts and my back is sore too. all-in-all it's about perfect. : ) really, i don't even notice what hurts when i can get outside and start poking at a project, just figure out what i can do and get it done until i run out of energy.

and yes, it is so nice to be warm! sweaty, lovely heat, melt that leftover iceberg from the past winter, etc. in a few more weeks we'll start getting more hot and humid combined which is tougher. i don't mind it much, but Ma will get the AC going. hate it i do, but i don't want her to get heat stroke so...

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hey Helen - I made Daikon pickles today after inspiration from your jam-meister Tom. Thanks for introducing me. Will let you know if it turns out OK. Assuming I don't explode anything first!