Davidson's Plum Jam recipe ....

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by helenlee, May 29, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Anyone want to share their favourite Davidson's plum jam recipe please? :)

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i wish i did! : )

let me rephrase that...

i wish i had a plum tree so that i had such a recipe!

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hello You :) :) :)

I got sick of waiting for a permie to come up with a recipe (what is going on when you can't get a Davidson's Plum Jam recipe on a permaculture forum?????) so I asked my fermenting guru, who seems to be the god of all things food - not just fermenting :)

Here's the link:

https://celestialroots.tumblr.com/post/72844767277/davidson-plum-and-blueberry-jam

And just for good measure I've thrown in a couple of photos of the plums (which aren't very good - but it was raining, & I'd just fallen down the bloody bank into the stinging nettles, & gotten another set of clothes dirty, View attachment 2561 View attachment 2562 & had the pip ... )

Attached Files:

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I meant the photos weren't very good - not the plums - although a couple of them were worse for wear too because I landed on them :) :)

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

My davidson plum is over 6 years old and is still smaller than the day i bought it.
    Its got about 5 leaves and is permanently 6 inches high.
    Ive never had a tree do this.
    I imagine crap soil no watering and heaps of rocks are to blame for it bonsainess.
    I dont want to take it out as it amuses me in some perverse way, I want to see what happens.
    I might have to buy another and give it some love.

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hmmm. I just had this conversation with someone else.

The link I posted says that Davidson's Plums don't like to be an understory tree. But mine is growing as part of a small food forest type arrangement ... right underneath a red cedar, & it is very happy & bears beautiful fruit. I don't know how old it is ... I didn't plant it.

I hope there is a photo of the tree attached to this post ... not a great one, but as I said, it was raining, & I'd already fallen down the bank into the stinging nettles & hurt myself, & wasn't in the right mood to be overly worried about getting a great shot :/ View attachment 2563

If it makes you feel any better ... I did that with a Kensington Pride Mango I planted 5 years ago. It only grew about 10 inches from the day I planted it, & the cows assaulted it several times which didn't help matters. I recently gave up & dug it out. I tried to remove a very large amount of dirt with the (meagre) roots in the hope of transplanting it, & discovered I hadn't dug a big enough hole when I planted it. If I'd made a bit more effort then, I would have found a deepish layer of solid clay not far under the hole I had excavated :( I put it in a better spot, but things aren't looking too hopeful for it I'm afraid.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Mine too Grasshopper! I was told that it was an under storey plant so mine is under a gum tree. And has barely grown an inch in 5 years! Glad I'm not the only permie with the occasional plant failure...

8. Terra

Terra Moderator

Arse up and trashing around in the Stinging Nettles would have been interesting . 8) :giggle:

9. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    that last picture is very nicely done. :)

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Simply fascinating Terra ...
    NOT.
    :)
    My excuse is that the bank is steep & was very slippery from the rain, & I was trying to protect the expensive camera I had around my neck at the expense of my own person :)

11. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Are you referring to my lil' nest of Plums ... or are you having a shot at me about my failure to upload the last picture? :)
    Here's what I was trying to upload ...

View attachment 2564

Attached Files:

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Which really wasn't worth uploading now you look at it :) :shake:

I'll take another shot today when it gets light. I wasn't going back down yesterday ... it was raining & I was cranky :)

The point was to show this tree is being completely overgrown by a red cedar & is surrounded by other trees as well.

The Brazilian Cherry is under there too ... it doesn't get a lot of fruit on it ... I wonder if it would like some more light?

The Monstera Deliciosa is certainly happy under it all ... it always has masses of fruit :)

And now seeing as I'm completely off topic I might as well add that my little vegetable garden plot doesn't get enough light in winter ... as the sun gets lower the Black Bean tree & Bangalow Palms shade it for too long in the morning, & some dickhead (me - whoops) put a small shed (was meant to be the chook shed, but was never finished, & is now the wood shed) on the north side of it that causes that one corner to be shaded in the afternoon. The state of the vegetables in there certainly reflect their unhappiness ... in fact, I often look at it & think "If anyone on the forum ever saw that you'd be de-frocked & expelled!"
    :(

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I was having a whinge yesterday about not (initially) receiving any replies to this thread, & some smarty pants asked me how hard can it be & why did I need instructions to put fruit, water & sugar in a pot & bring it to the boil :) :think: :)
    And my answer was because it was a "bush tucker" fruit I somehow felt I couldn't use just yer Grandmas CWA recipe & should do something exotic with it.
    And last night I figured out the other reason is because I am SO over cooking (after having cooked almost restaurant quantities of meals for the past 20 years) that I want an absolute guarantee something is going to turn out, (& turn out delicious!) before I can be bothered cooking it. So I was hoping to get "tried & true" recipes by asking here, not just take pot luck with some random thing I found on the net.
    But after reading the recipes I found or were sent, I think I DO want just yer Grandma's Plum Jam recipe after all. I don't want Lemon Myrtle in it (just like I don't want Chilli in my chocolate thank you :) ) & I don't want to have to buy (even if I could afford it - which I can't) a gallon of raw, bush blossom honey either. And I'm fresh out of Pixie Dust ;)
    So yeah ... there's nothing complicated about making jam :) Except Davidson's Plums are sort of tart (unlike the usual cultivated plums) & I'm unsure about how much sugar to use. And do I need to add green apples for pectin?
    I really don't want to stuff this up, or have to re-cook it. I'd be pretty pissed with myself if I did, & I'm pissed enough with myself over a back log of stuffed up dumb things I've done already ... :think:

And I just now realised I feel like I have to do something with them, because not everyone has Davidson's Plums, & I should be grateful & act like it ... :think:
    Now I wish the bloody cows had found them & eaten them & spared me the trouble :) ;)

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I wonder who that smarty pants might have been?8)

You can always make it without pectin and do the cold plate test - and if it doesn't set add some later. Same with the sugar - keep tasting and adding until you like it. Not rocket science.

It'll be worth it - trust me! Even my medium failures (my mango chutney that was so runny it got renamed spicy mango sauce….) taste so much better than anything I have ever bought.

I haven't had a supply to get my hands on to try it out but have always wondered what Davidson't plum and fig jam would be like.

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hmmm. Maybe you're smarter than me. (Ya think??? lol :rofl: )

I've had a couple of spectacular failures ... like the entire tray of Bowen Mangoes I made into chutney that was way too sweet, & most of it ended up in the compost ... but not before I'd given several bottles of it away! I still blush when I think about that :(
    And then there was the tomato & onion chutney (with dates & raisins & sultanas - YUM!) that I had a couple of vodkas while I was cooking, & got completely confused about the amounts of sugar & vinegar, & it was only by extreme good luck that it turned out absolutely awesome. And because I'd sunk a couple I can't remember exactly what I did, & so can't replicate the awesomeness :(
    There was a batch of pineapple & ginger jam that I did just right & it turned out to die for ... :) :)

I love figs ... do you reckon I should try it???
    Give me a guess as to the amount of sugar? I really, really don't want to have to recook it. I positively hate stuffing around in the kitchen these days. I think I'm just in a permanently whiny mood about everything the past year :(

16. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

The DP tree is in the middle of the shot ...

View attachment 2565

View attachment 2566

The first thing I did when I walked out to take these shots this morning is fell down the bank & landed in the nettles again. Wet grass on steep slopes is bloody slippery :/

Attached Files:

17. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Try this. Just enough science to make it work, not so much to make it sound like Julius Sumner-Miller is back!

What is it with you and the nettles? Is it helping the arthritis? I might need some for my hands. A day in the garden gives me a few days of swollen joints….

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I dunno if I have a special affinity with them, or if it's just that they're prolific here :) I leave them alone where I can because they are supposed to be so beneficial for the soil :) Mine are very healthy, that's for sure :)
    I've never been game to try flagellating myself with them (apparently it's a remedy for arthritis!) & I've never tried them in cooking, although some of my neighbours use them & reckon they're good :) They do make awesome compost though :)

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thanks for the link :) Just saw it now ... it looks like just what I need :)
    I dunno what's wrong with me lately ... nothing about me seems to be "normal" ... even the simplest things, things I've done all my life, seem complicated. I hope like hell it's just transitioning to a new normal hormone profile, & I hope like hell the day is coming when I'll look back on this & laugh. But right now it feels a LOT like I am "walking through the valley of the shadow of death" ... sans rod & staff, & only a foxie & a kelpie to comfort me.

20. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    a sincere positive comment about the nest of plums picture. *hugs*