dates (the eating kind)

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by colours, Jul 17, 2007.

1. colours

colours Junior Member

Allo! Does anyone know how to grow dates? Do they grow on date palms? OK maybe a stupid question but the seeds I've seen on date palms look nothing like the ones you eat.

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

colours,

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that date palms like to have their 'head in the fire and their feet in the water'. They do seem like a mighty tough tree that will grow all over the place but only fruit properly in specific conditions.

There were hundreds grown from about 1920 on around the Mildura area but I cant ever remember them producing proper fruit, growing from dropped seedlings and only very very occasionally did they produce pups/slips.

At a guess I would imagine that date palms require a minimum number of days over 40c to develop quality fruit.

A few years ago I saw a news story on a snow storm that hit Jordan and Israel. The snow on the date palms looked wonderful.

floot

4. wongankatta

wongankatta Junior Member

G'day Colours,
    I have grown dates from the seeds of dates I have eaten, either sprouted first in a bag of moist cocopeat or planted directly in the soil. They sprout better in warmer weather. The following link from the FAO contains extensive information on growing dates.
    https://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y4360e/y4360e00.htm
    Seedling dates will most likely be of poorer quality though, and about 50% will be male (some males necessary for pollination). For quality fruit, and quicker fruiting, offshoots from known varieties are planted or more increasingly micropropagation is used to guarantee disease free, productive varieties. Gurra downs is one place in Australia which grows dates and has a nursery selling known varieties. I'm hoping to buy some from here in the next year or two. https://www.gurradowns.com.au/ (Thanks to Jez for linking this previously :wink: )
    I've got my eye on some currently unproductive partly saline land here in the Western Australian wheatbelt which I would love to try growing Dates on amongst other things! I have some growing on my block in a contour bank (soil conservation measure from the 1970's) which I'm planting out as a swale.
    Listening to the lovely sounds of rain :) - regards - Andrew

5. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Fantastic to hear Andrew - please keep us updated on both your current and future projects. :thumbright:

6. colours

colours Junior Member

just from seeds huh?

I might give the seed planting thing a go, thanks heaps for the info! And good luck in WA. I"ll be growing at Kurrajong NSW which is high ish but I hear gets hot in summer so we should be able to arrange the heat + water thing and I'll let you know if I make any progress!!