Daryl Hannah @ APC10 & Free Range Permaculture PDC

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by permaculture.biz, Jul 1, 2010.

1. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    MEDIA RELEASE

Daryl Hannah, attending major Conference in Cairns

Actress, film maker and leading environmental campaigner, Daryl Hannah will arrive in
    Cairns to attend a major conference to discuss permaculture design and education in
    September this year.

The Australasian Permaculture Convergence, APC10, is an anticipated biennial event to be
    hosted in the Wet Tropics town of Kuranda, a 40 minute drive from Cairns and gateway to
    the Atherton Tableland food bowl.

Hannah is passionately committed to practicing a low impact lifestyle.
    From her small footprint, passive and active solar home, complete with gray water systems
    and organic garden in California, to being an early adaptor of biofuels, Daryl Hannah has
    been actively spreading the good news of how well it all works and how good it all feels for
    over two decades.

She has become one of the most influential sustainability advocates, reaching millions with
    her message. She has inspired countless individuals to become more informed and pro-
    active about the natural world and the part we all play in protecting it.

She has produced, hosted and shot numerous green TV appearances including pieces
    for CNN International and Good Morning America. Hannah has become an outspoken
    advocate for ethical and environmentally sustainable lifestyles on news programs in both the
    progressive and the conservative media.

Hannah will be the Key Note speaker at the Gala Dinner of the upcoming APC 10
    Convergence in Cairns, September 24-27th.

Other confirmed speakers at the event include the Former Governor General of Australia,
    Major General Michael Jeffery; Permaculture Co-Founder Mr Bill Mollison and SBS
    Televisions, Costa Georgiadis, of Costa’s Gardening Odyssey.

Hannah is also looking forward to completing her Permaculture Design Certificate at a two
    week residential course under the instruction of leading Permaculture designer/trainer, Mr
    Darren J.Doherty near Mareeba in early September.

Media Contact:

Anne Stephens – APC10 0417 266 345 / 07 4053 2899

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

if i didnt love my sheep so much id b there

3. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

As they say out there Andrew, 'its ok to love your sheep, just don't loooove your sheep'!

Really looking forward to the PDC...I'm redesigning the whole thing after 36 PDC's to make it a whole lot more practical and also go from 4-5 design exercises/PDC to 6-7 design exercises. I've been doing 4-5 for the last couple of years and now I am wanting to ramp this up to not just do 6-7 but then have 4-5 options for each with a lot more information prepared for each. I have done the 1 design at the end of the course as both a student and as a teacher and I find it severely limiting: after all this is a course about Permaculture Design isn't it? Aren't you meant to walk away from the experience able to take on work? Courses with only one design significantly limit this potential in my opinion. The use of electronic media is what is buying the time that chalk and talk just can't give. We are confident after some more recent experiments of getting the projector time down to 25% of the course (not including the nightly film festival) and still cover more than the old curriculum: or at least the parts of it I now have the freedom to choose as being relevant to the needs of our participants and that we predetermine through online dialogue ahead of the course. Applying Permaculture Design Principles and Ethics to the PDC itself...nothings static after all!

All the best and I hope that wool stays out of your eyes....

Darren

4. matto

matto Junior Member

G'day Darren,
    This sounds like a great step forward for the PDC, and would support what I'm looking for in a second PDC course. Are you planning on doing some more of these in the near future somewhere in Australia?
    Right now im too busy tree planting, I bend over for 4.3cents. Yes, I am cheap... and hear for one season only.
    There's a better way to do this, just need to fund the venture. You reckon CO2 Australia and their stakeholders would be swayed with permaculture principles?

5. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day Matto,

Thanks for the note...Haven't got any more AU PDC's planned at this stage....deep into planning for RegenAG at the moment which I would assume might 'sway' a mob like CO2 AU to do something other than 'Landscare-type' work furthering the aims and objectives of the Eucalyptus genus....There is a whisper of a couple of PDC's in 2011 in AU including one at our place that will be very old fashioned in price and digs...have lots of other ideas too....just gotta squeeze these things in!

Geez 4.3 cents: I must have been paying people way too much back when we were doing the tree planting contracting full on back in the 90's...

Good luck,

Darren

6. matto

matto Junior Member

Cheers mate,
    Look forward to hearing more in the future. Got a handle on the Keyline workshop you did with Milkwood last year, and looking at the victorian compost tea workshop in September. Its a good start and ill get in the ear of management at CO2 whenever they pop in.
    At 5000 tree average a day it still works out pretty well. I guess its good for WA's sandy soils to hold carbon in the mallee root but its massive monocultures.

Keep us posted.

Matto

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    APC 10 is getting close!

https://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/09/03/125351_local-news.html

8. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Sounds good Darren. Hopefully hear about the PDC afterwards. Be good to know how your revised format goes.
    The PDC I put together in the Otways in 2007 and The Tui Community PDC that Robina McCurdy runs in NZ (that I helped out on it early this year) sounds similar to your revised format; focused on lots of design exercises (6 or 7, I think too) with the final design having lots of choices.
    Lots of practical stuff (and powerpoint only around 25% or perhaps less).
    Sounds like APC10 is going to be awesome!
    I'd love to be there.