Dam building - Ballarat area. Dam engineer?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by bede, Mar 4, 2016.

1. bede

bede New Member

Hi folks,

I searched but didn't find anyone having posted what I seek ;-) so.....

I have bought 100 acres South of Ballarat Vic, Aus, and will be putting in some dams.

Does anyone know of an experienced dam engineer in the Ballarat region?

I have approval from the water authority for the first dam in the location I desire but for the council permit rather than hand drawn based on my knowledge (no practical, only theoretical) I think it's best to have it properly engineered. It will be at least 3 megalitres.

Cheers all,

Bede.

2. Flatland

Flatland Member

All I know about dams is check out the engineer yourself. Don't go by what he says or is on his website. People are very happy to lie. And if your dam fails you can be up for big sueing.
    The reason I say do the checking yourself is people and companies often don't. I know personally of a very big government contract that was awarded on the cv of the contractor and later when he was making a balls up my friend did a personal check, ringing the companies he claimed to have worked for, discovered some had never heard of him others said "totally hopeless, don't touch him with a barge pole" My friend had no say in the awarding of the contract she was just going to have to work there.

bede likes this.
  3. bede

bede New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I found on the local council website a list of dam engineers that "may be able to do the work but aren't formally recommended by the council" type thing and have contacted one of them.

I've also asked for some examples and customers of theirs that I can contact.

Cheers,

Bede.

4. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

Contact Darren Doherty of The Regrarians, a mate of David Holmgren. He is in your area, and will have a recommendation.

5. jamal

jamal New Member

Climate:
    150 mm of rain
    how is your farm now?