Curling chilli leaves in Western Australia

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dpirovich, Nov 4, 2014.

1. dpirovich

dpirovich Junior Member

Hi all,

This is my second season trying my luck growing a few varieties of chillies and have had some success followed by many learning experiences. Most of the disappointments have come from the dog eating new seedlings in the backyard!

I have overwintered some of last years chilli plants that never had the chance to flower for various reasons. One plant has recovered nicely and growing new shoots and leaves daily.. however.. recently the newest leaves have begun to curl over and the tiny new shoots look sickly and dried up. This is not due to lack of water as they generally get a light watering once a day or two days. I have a neighbouring plant with the same set up but this is the only one showing these characteristics on the new leaves.

I really dont know what the problem is and how to fix it. There arent any signs of aphids or pests and the temperature hasnt skyrocketed yet as I am located in Western Australia. The plant sits in a shaded patio area with plenty of indirect sunlight. Below are some pictures of the leaves. It is a little bit hard to see but the new small leaves on top are curled down like a finger curling inwards to the palm face down.

Can anyone provide an explanation here?

Cheers.

https://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/dpirovich/Photoon4-11-14at416PM2_zps04d9837f.jpg

https://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/dpirovich/Photoon4-11-14at416PM3_zps5277e829.jpg

https://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b492/dpirovich/Photoon4-11-14at416PM_zps3b347187.jpg

2. John Morrison

John Morrison Junior Member

curly leaf on chillies

Gday from Qld
    I reckon you have a sap sucker it may not be aphids but spider mite.

I suggest picking a leaf and examining it under a magnifyiong glass and look for tiny bruise spots from a sap sucker.
    You may see a red spider mite.
    So what to do about it. For a short term fix a solution of sulfur will kill of the sap suckers but better and more permaculture is to wait for the predators to fix this for you. If you kill the bady guys of the good guy have no food
    to eat, My observations it that the good guys should breed up within about 10 days
    hope this helps
    regards
    john

3. dpirovich

dpirovich Junior Member

John- I've taken one of the curling leaves and checked it out. so far I cant see any spots or signs of spider mights or any evidence of aphids. The problem has been occurring for about 3 weeks now so that '10 day' plan to let the predators breed is probably out.

Still open for thoughts.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

What are you feeding it with? If it's been in the pot for a while nutritional deficiencies might be starting to set in.

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'd agree with Eco, that it might be nutritionally lacking at this point.

also, every chili i've ever grown has done best with plenty of sunlight and hot weather. keeping one in the shade seems rather odd, unless your variety is somehow been bred for shade tolerance...

when you water you should also be watering more deeply and thoroughly, but then let things dry out a while until watering again. this encourages deeper roots which can survive the hot periods and droughts better.

often you can tell by how the plant will start to wilt a little bit as to when it will need another drink.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Plant more its a nice long season in WA

7. Lava Chilli Garden

Lava Chilli Garden New Member

Yes, it looks like Spider mite to me. The first sign of spider mite are distorted or curly fresh leaves. The best way to deal with it is to buy a product from Amgrow called Malathon or David Greys Malathion, both products are exactly the same but manufactured by different companies.

The active constituent is Maldison which also is used to kill and prevent fruit fly. The plant absorbs the chemical in the leaves for a period of 5-10 days, it will kill aphids, spider mite, fruit fly and any other sucking or chewing insect. Spider mite can be tricky, i spent 100's of dollars last season purchasing predatory mites and also fruit fly baits, lures etc, but if you are after a product that can be easily sprayed and cover all these pests then why not. Can't pick Chilli Pods for 4 days after spraying! I also combine mancozeb to prevent any fungal diseases.. Hope this helps

8. dpirovich

dpirovich Junior Member

Using Seasol with water every few weeks and organic fertilizers every 4-5 weeks

9. dpirovich

dpirovich Junior Member

I think i moved them to that location when they were younger because the hot sun was burning the leaves. Im located about 3hrs inland from Perth so the weather is slightly warmer.

10. dpirovich

dpirovich Junior Member

Cheers mate, I'll have a look for it at my local two dogs.