Cultural Differences - Permaculture in the Phillippines

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by cabren17, Oct 4, 2003.

1. cabren17

cabren17 New Member

G,day everyone; this is more like a couple of questions & explanations from a newbie to permaculture applications than a topic.
    I am happliy married to a beautiful Philippina lass & we have two gorgeous daughters under three. My wife Brenda & I are seriously intending & saving to purchase a sufficiently sized property on her home Island of Cebu in ten years from now; with the mind that I would farm the land with diversified crops etc, & supply the local market shop which she has always wanted to own.
    With the Aussie Dollar worth approximately 35:1 in our favour currently, my question is, is there anyone who has experienced this kind of set up & how many hectares would we need to do the above & live the proverbial self sufficient lifestyle according to Permaculture ethics? ???

2nd Question.
    What type of ground would be best suited in that kind of tropical setting? Finally, What slight differences would I as an Aussie have to allow for?

I look forward to & welcome as many comments or advice as possible.

Cheers to all, cabren17

2. vix

vix Junior Member

Greg Knibbs has done some pc in the Philippines, he's from Fremantle and went there to set up the Philippines Permaculture Institute. His email is
    [email protected]
    so try emailing him and asking....he'll probably have an idea or two.