1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I was at the Old Produce Store a few days ago and the place was musical with the sounds of crickets. They had just got a whole new batch in; apparently to feed pet reptiles. Today i note they have all been sold (about 3 dozen at $9 pkts. not bad!).
    At $9 a punnet (Chinese Food container size- nowhere near full) they must be a better farming proposition that blueberries.

I am just starting to see life returning to my new garden, at least one frog and some small lizards (about 8" long-very fast). I think one of the lizards was hanging out for a bit of my steak sandwich the other day.
    I got to thinking, should I buy some crickets for my new lizards?
    What do crickets do in a garden apart from making noise?

Would I be better off investing my $9 in a bottle of Merlot, or to "liberate" some farmed crickets?
    Would i be rewarded in my Next Life for either?

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: Crickets.

I was out raking mulch this arvo, and in the process spotted two beautiful, majestic wedge-tailed eagles catching thermals. Then the local galahs started giving them hard time, which got me thinking... Why didn't the eagles crush the galahs - they are much bigger and surely more powerful?

Buy the bottle of Merlot this week, and a container of crickets next. This way, any effects on your karma will be balanced.

Night Michael, Marko.

3. Michaelangelica

LOL LOL The best laugh i have had all day; Thanks, I've been decidedly grumpy as the troglodytes take over the planet.. i think i should call it a night on that high note
    Remind me to tell you of my eagle experience.

4. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Mark's got it right alright, things seem different after a bottle of merlot. (tho for me it would be driving the porcelain bus)
    Don't know what else cricket's do, but I really like hearing them in the garden. Spotted one of our lizards only last week. Heard it slinking around before I saw it; is great having wildlife in suburbia.

Once saw a wagtail seeing off every other bird from his patch on the billabong, each bird larger than the last until it finally managed to hassle a heron off it's perch, upon which it then sat bobbing triumphantly.
    Wedgies are big and powerful but not as quick as galahs in the air; now if the galahs were feeding on the ground it would be a different story.

I actually only read this thread 'cos I thought it said 'cricket' and wondered if someone else was glued to the radio like me
    cheers

5. Michaelangelica

LOL
    It would be nice to know what crickets (the bugs) do in the garden/ecology.

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

They are there to put holes in your spuds