Crazy Bicycle Riding Cellist (environmental bent) looking for places to play!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by krule22, Dec 31, 2009.

1. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm a profession 'alternative' cellist (plays styles other than classical even though classically trained) and composer (www.theunconventionalcellist.com) who retreated to a small ten acre patch of land in Central Victoria (near Clunes and Talbot) some 5 years ago. I live on this property with my companion in life, Andy, a truly remarkable and resourceful man (www.mechanarchy.com.au), and together we are working towards obtaining a high level of self sufficiency via permaculture principals, creativity, and native revegetation.

We've just finished some eco guest accommodation (www.thoreaus-talbot.com.au) and we do a fair bit of touring around Australia on our bicycles (performing original 'alternative' cello music with accompanying moving images to appreciative audiences). We're keen to meet other like minded people either in our local area, throughout Australia or further abroad. Would love to visit some like minded communities and play some original music!

For some pics of our relatively new veggie patch (had to build buildings to harvest rain water in the first couple of years) go to www.thoreaus-talbot.com.au/accommodation/Experiences.html

Cheers,
    Kristin

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Welcome to the forum krule22, sounds like you have a great life set up for yourselves there. I trust you will find what you came for.

Grahame

3. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome Grahame. We certainly have a wonderful life here, although it can be a bit tough when your only form of transport is a human powered bicycle and you play the cello. Should've listened to my mum when she suggested to me, at the tender age of 11, that I play the violin instead of the cello, "A little easier to cart around". (Andy has just built a prototype 'Solar Electric Push Trailer' for his cargo bike to help him cope with a bung knee and mine is on it's way :)

As to finding what I came here for, lets see......I'm in the early stages of a plan to do an eight week tour up to Nimbin (with Andy) in September/October. No set route yet but I suspect there will be some train travel involved, we're fit but not that fit!! If anyone is interested in helping to find places to play and places to stay (in NSW during September and October) please contact me. In 2008 I did a four state tour, back when I was sensible and rode a motorcycle - https://www.theunconventionalcellist.com/gypsylife/2008 DTBD tour.html and I found that the most enjoyable performances were in those communities with an alternative and creative element.

Looking forward to meeting some of you later this year.

Cheers, Kristin

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

krule22
    Hi and welcome:)
    No the Cello rules! The movie "The Witches of Eastwick" did it for me :)
    When you get your guest accommodation going feel free to advertise it in the Businesses section of the Forum
    I have daughters who sing, play the violin and viola so we maybe should all get together one day !? ( I just play with plants).

There is nothing sensible about riding a motocycle. You loose too much skin and drivers of cars don't register you in their brains as a "car/person/thing" to be avoided !

5. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Thanks Michaelangelica,

Would love to catch up one day.....I'll have your daughters using guitar picks and being creative on their violin and viola in no time (and their teachers frowning)!!

Yes, I still have skin but have to say the car/person/thing aint much better on a bicycle.....a massive cello in a silver case strapped on the back rack does help though ;-)

Watch for increases in URO sightings on my future tours... unidentified rolling object!

Cheers,
    Kris

6. Michaelangelica

7. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

URO - Unidentified Rolling Object

(words inspired by Kimbo, thanks Kimbo)

My true passion is evident in the music I 'now' play.
    With my cello at hand (weapon of choice), I head out into the world, to play with all I have.
    Words, yes, words are important to me now, as they offer no doubt as to the passion at hand.
    With cello and words my message will be heard but I doubt there will be many who can listen.
    For to listen to this music one must truly want freedom.
    Free from fear, from greed and from conformity.

My new album 'The Knife that Cuts a Tear' will have something very important to say, but the really important sounds are yet to come. I have 33 years of existence at hand, I am learning much, I am seeing much, to this there is no end.

[​IMG]

This is a pic from the tour test run in April 2009....... We've since made a few mods and done a number of mini tours (less than 250k), new pics coming soon!

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Kristin

That's my kind of music.

I found a very old copy of Thoreau's collected works (essays, poems and letters, and Walden) a few weeks back. I have been reading from it recently, and let me tell you, it's 'music' to my ears.

Peace to both you and Andy.

Cheerio for now, Markus.

9. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Thanks Mark,

And, as we both know, the words.....

"For to listen to this music one must truly want freedom.
    Free from fear, from greed and from conformity."

......are a result of a deep friendship with Mechandy. He has challenged me like none other, and I relish the challenge. I am more myself than I ever was....my eyes are opening fully. Makes me wonder why we are so adverse to challenge?

You are welcome here anytime....it is not a prerequisite to read Thoreau, although it may help a little.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

10. Michaelangelica

You might be interested in this "permaculture Music" (!)
    https://permaculture.com.au/central...ices&layout=blog&Itemid=100008&layout=default
    I like the arrangements, and the music, and the lady is obviously well trained, creative, intelligent, thoughtful and multi- talented.
    However i think sometimes the message is a bit heavy handed. Too heavy handed to make an impact.
    I would like something a bit more of a parable /ballad (The political ditty 'Once a jolly swag man' or even nursery rhymes all once had a topical message) or maybe the words from The Little Prince would make a good song.

11. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Hi Michaelangelica,

Thanks for the link to Robyn's music but it's not my style, way off in fact. My new cd will be out by the end of March this year so I'll post a preview here in Mid March once I've got a final mix. There will be only one song with words, the rest will be instrumental, using my very 'real' 130 year old French Cello. As to "The Little Prince", well it was my favorite book as a child, it led me to a passion for all things French, including my cello.

As to 'Too heavy handed to make an impact'.....well, perhaps that is the case for Robyn's music (?insert your own opinion here?).....as for me, I find the 'heavy handed' approach to be amazing, inspiring, deeply moving and incredibly powerful...IF DONE WELL, and here is one of the best examples (and it has a very 'strange' connection with permaculture...)

"Strange Fruit" by Abel Meeropol

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
    Black body swinging in the Southern breeze,
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.
    Pastoral scene of the gallant South,
    The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
    Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh,
    Then the sudden smell of burning flesh!
    Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
    For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
    For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
    Here is a strange and bitter crop.

Click on link to watch Billie Holiday sing with unbridled passion!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs

I'm along way off this level, but I'll work for the rest of my life in it's pursuit and probably die trying.
    Music with meaning. True Passion.

Cheers,
    Kris

12. Michaelangelica

looking forward to hearing more from you.
    m

13. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

WARNING: URO (Unidentified Rolling Object) has been sighted in Melbourne. It reportedly disappeared into a Recording Studio somewhere near the Preston Market. If confronted by URO, do not approach, rather, 'Duck and Cover', especially the ears, as it has been known to emit unusual frequency combinations that may affect cerebral pathways. Sample of offending sound/s for the purposes of identification and self preservation coming soon.

(Thanks m ;-)

14. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

reading that I could,nt help thinking of the Jaws sound track.

15. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Perhaps if I painted some big scary teeth with blood red gums onto my cello case the killer car drivers would make more of an effort to evade contact?

Jaws? Yes, perhaps the 'Jaws of Life'....lol.

The joy of playing the Jaws movie theme on the cello cannot be underestimated. Children across Australia were in raptures at my interpretation, I'm sure a few of them went on to learn cello just because of this music. And given that this theme music is essentially based on the repeated interval of a semitone, it will be hard not to include a little 'Jaws' in the music that I play. Even Mozart was unable to resist using the Jaws semitone motive.

For an update on cd progress visit

https://www.theunconventionalcellist.com/Creativity/The Knife that Cuts a Tear.html

There is just a little more to do before I indulge my friends here in a pre release sneak preview ;-)

16. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Well, it's all taking longer than I expected but we're almost there. Final Mastering of the cd to take place on Monday the 19th in the Bat Cave (best way to describe a mastering suite)....and if I'm happy with the changes (I tend to be rather pedantic) then a sneak preview will be on it's way.

CHORUS of title track
    "The Knife that Cuts a Tear"

Life is here now,
    Feet placed firmly on the ground.
    Sweet surrender,
    To the truth that never yields.
    Growing wiser,
    Like the Knife that Cuts a Tear.
    This is Freedom,
    Living without fear.

And what's next after the cd is released.....back to the veggie patch!

17. ecodharmamark

Good luck with the session, Kris. Based on the lyrics contained in the chorus of the title track, I am sure you will produce beautiful music that will resonate within the body and the mind. Looking forward to listening to the CD. Peace to both you and Andy, Mark.

18. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

Thanks Mark, I hope you enjoy the rest of the lyrics (which can be found by following the link below).

***Sneak Preview***

As promised, here is the 'Permaculture Forum Friends' Sneak Preview (click on link) of my soon to be released album 'The Knife that Cuts a Tear'. My legs are worn out after all the riding but the results are well worth it, as I'm sure you will agree. You do need quicktime to listen to the tracks.....let me know if you have any difficulties (or if you'd like me to make the tracks available via Windows media or Realtime).

https://www.theunconventionalcellist.com/permaculture.html

I'll leave this page/link up for a couple of weeks until the album is officially released. Hope you enjoy.

All the best,
    Kristin

19. krule22

krule22 Junior Member

I've solved the quicktime problem in my link and now everyone should be able to listen to the music now. Hopefully you wont be afraid of this little media playing widget (as I am), it's connected to this organisation called Tunecore that will be delivering my music to Itunes and Amazon Mp3 in a couple of weeks.

www.theunconventionalcellist.com/permaculture.html

You, the followers of this thread, really are some of the very first people (apart from close friends) to hear these three pieces and I've been very eager to see if anyone connects with any or all of these pieces. This cd hasn't just been about writing beautiful music, it's involved a great deal of deep thought and reflection (helped along by some pretty deep conversations with my companion, Andy). The words to 'The Knife that Cuts a Tear' really sum up the meaning behind all the music on this album.

As to the packaging (which has been very important to me), the cd will be presented in a recycled cardboard tray, printed using soya based ink, with the cd being held in place by a piece of cork (which really looks quite amazing). So the only plastic in the whole package is the actual cd, which as we all know in the permaculture world, has a great many uses!

Thanks for your interest over the months.....the veggie garden beckons me, weeding!!

20. ecodharmamark

Dear Kris

I have listened to all three tracks this morning. The first two I can best describe as 'hauntingly beautiful', and 'very deep'. The last, the title track, affected me differently from the first two, more 'uplifting'. I love the lyrics of the latter, and am sure that it will cause many to stop and think about the deeper meaning/s of life.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to the album release.

Much warmth, Mark.