Course advice

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by sancha, Jul 4, 2006.

1. sancha

sancha Junior Member

How do I go about studying a diploma course in permaculture? Do I have to do a design course first?

Does anyone do a correspondence course? I have a 16 month old child, a dog, vineyard, vege garden, fruit trees and a partner (not listed in order of importance). All of which means that it's rather difficult to get away to actually do any of these PDCs.

Any advice you can offer would be very useful. Thanks.

2. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Sancha, your first step is a design course from a registered teacher (I know at least one is offering online courses). Then at least two years of practical application in at least one of the suject areas.

3. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Where abouts do you live Sancha? I'm going to start working toward a Dip in P/C by doing set practical assignments in my own garden. Some PDCs are part time, once a week, or a weekend a month, which might be easier for you than the two week block. Your PDC will go toward the Diploma and be an important part of it, but if you've done other courses, or been practising the methods already that could go toward it. Just be sure to go with an accredited teacher.

Cheers,

Sonya.

4. sancha

sancha Junior Member

I live near Stanthorpe, just near the border with NSW, up in the frosty granite region. I think the closest permaculture school to me would be in the Border Ranges, but an online course is really the best option for me. I'd like to use this little farm as my design project (right at the moment, in the middle of what is shaping up to be a drought, it represents a good introduction to dryland strategies!)
    Thanks for your help.

5. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Sancha, I seem to recall Bill saying something about applying past work (work before getting a PDCC) to a permaculture degree. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether he said it was accepted or not. The best thing to do would be contact Tagari ([email protected]) and ask them about it.