Councils and composting toilets, who's had trouble?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cly, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone here has had or knows someone who has had trouble with the council over installing a compost toilet..such as needing to install a solids seperator tank or any other silly things for possible 'future residents' of your home?!

I'm much liking Nature Loo though Biolet also has a nice line.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day cly,

enjoy my chats with you.

this is how i see it mate, no council can stop you from using a composting loo ok, love 'em or hate'em they are all EPA approved so take no poop right.

we have nature loo for us it is a simple format no carousel or mechanical type actions. but check out out e-design you buy the plans make your own type nature loo from available materials all EPA approved ok.

we just emptied our bin today good material for the garden, go 4 kilo cuallie last year wow tested so juicy not a chemical in sight.

len

3. Cly

Cly Junior Member

Glad you enjoy the chats, worry I ask too many questions :)

So while they're approved I thought/read some councils could still make you install these silly extras or would that more apply to a suburban locale rather than out on a property? I'm always curious of the ins and outs of things, thankfully I'm not a cat.

4. gardenlen

g'day cly,

now i dunno about them city councils, at one stage here in qld composting toilets where approved for rural but they weren't for the suburbs.

but then me being a renegade that wouldn't stop me, nature loo has that low set unit the first one in their range i think that could be used in a suburban home without any/too many noticable modifications. so do it under handed just don't tell anyone especially neighbours. i always used our night water and grey water when in the 'burb's, not supposed to do that either. there are lots of ways to bend the rules. o and try and run your loo dry ie.,. only allow for incidental urine.

also have a look at that e-design model a fellow in brissy 'burb sells works exactly like the nature-loo only you buy the plans and make it out of readily available material heaps cheaper, i was going to do it but ran out of time through the home building stage.

also like to suggest in the case of nature-loo (very happy with it) when they suggest sat 2 bins for 2+ people buy 3 or when they suggest 3 bins for 4+ buy 4 etc.,. will discuss resoning via e/mail if desired.

len

5. kittykate

kittykate Junior Member

link

Hi Len,
    I tried the edesign link you recommneded, but had no luck. Any suggestions on how i can design me own dunny? (gee, that felt great saying it in 'strine')
    Thanks
    Kate

6. Brett

Brett Junior Member

7. gardenlen

g'day kate,

i sold the book with the plans that e-design used to sell so it would be a little on teh difficult side to explain, if you could have a good look at a n/l system then you may figure what is needed.

have you read the humanure book yet? the local library may have a copy or may get one for you to loan? the book can be read online, i have a link there somewhere poss' on the permaculture essay page.

keep the system simple works the best, some systems just over the top on complexity from my point of view.

is the e-design link still 'live'? i don't think he advertises the plans anymore just thought maybe if someone wanted them he may still be able to help.

len

8. kittykate

kittykate Junior Member

hi len,
    i have the humanure book - everyone should read it!!!! - it is wonderful, enlightening, and gee, it is difficult to use the polluting sewrage system we are still on these days. toxic poison, when it could be bountiful with blessings for my garden! humans are mad.

we cannot afford the commnercial n/l system at the mo (having just done solar!), so we are considering options., stuart at natureloo is wonderful however, and is willing to negotiate the price. he would rather see it in homes than not, from an environmental point of view. gotta respect a business like that.

it shall be done - it is one the list of things to do. just purchased some more weird and wonderful fruiting trees for the garden today - 15! exciting.
    now to dig some holes. . .
    :D kate