cottees new one litre cordial

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by paradisi, Nov 8, 2010.

1. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I'm a sad old bugga, I do my shopping on line because I can't stand supermarkets so I don't know if the 2 litre range has been killed off totally. I tried to get some cottees lemon barley cordial and htey only had the one litre new concentrated stuff.
    dont buy it its junkit has a chemical sugar replacement – and this particular sugar replacement causes problems with your thymus

according to schweppes the foreign owner of aussie cordial cottees, they test everything and its all ok and they dont know why people are getting upset

the cordial leaves a distinct metal/chemical taste in your mouth the chemical is sucralose

be careful if you buy it - you might find a strange skin reaction to this chemical

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

thanks for that info , I thought it was a bit suss ,, will be sticking to whatever is on special , or Golden circle or better still banana and jakfruit smoothies and the turmeric jamu .. finished the 2nd lot and experimenting ..

3. teela

teela Junior Member

There was this brand of cordial I was buying (name escapes me atm) was a bit dearer than other brands but it had none of the nasty additives,.this was the only reason I was buying it. Because of this it had to be kept refrigerated. Then it vanished off the supermarket shelves for a while, then after a while it came back.....but with all the chemical crap that all the other brands had. When I e-mailed them to ask why, they said that it was because it had to be refrigerated, apparently this was an issue for some of their customers.
    Well they lost one.......me

4. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

This from Wikipedia:

>>Tate & Lyle manufactures sucralose at a plant in Jurong, Singapore. Formerly, production was completed at a plant in McIntosh, Alabama. It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose (table sugar), which converts three of the hydroxyl groups to chlorides. The selective chlorination is achieved by selective protection of the primary alcohol groups followed by acetylation and then deprotection of the primary alcohol groups. Following an induced acetyl migration on one of the hydroxyl groups, the partially acetylated sugar is then chlorinated with a chlorinating agent such as phosphorus oxychloride, followed by removal of the acetyl groups to give sucralose.>Allergic reactions to sucralose have not been documented, but individuals sensitive to maltodextrin should consult a physician about using any sweeteners containing this bulking agent.

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

As its starting to warm up we thought about getting cordial , after reading lables , they all have too many additives for me so they all stayed on the shelf , we will be making home made lemon again this year . We juice and freeze excess for that purpose .

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

My initial thought was 'Do people still drink commercial cordial?' :) I forget sometimes

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

An attempt at being environmentally friendly by reducing plastic... yeah right! As if it wasn't solely to reduce costs...

8. Dreamie

Dreamie Junior Member

Anyone have some good recipes for cordial or similar made with natural ingredients?

I am thinking lemon, lime, orange, strawberry.

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Jam recipes work well... just use some liquid or extra juice and boil to a syrup. strain and dilute as you would with regular cordials...

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

My grandmother used to boil up pineapple skins - the bits that you don't eat from the pineapple - with sugar and strain it to make pineapple cordial.

11. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I am now using lemon cubes - last lemon season I juiced and froze the excess - I used ice cube trays -= so we have kilos of frozen lemon juice in ice cubes

I am using 8 ice cubes 8 teaspoons of sugar in an old 2 litre (cottees LOL) cordial bottle

tastes quite good - not tooo sweet

it probably wont keep more than a few days - it doesn't get the chance in our fridge

12. Terra

Terra Moderator

Mums old recipe you will have to do metric conversion or guess like me , Juice of 6 lemons , Rind of 6 lemons , 3lb of sugar , 3 pints of boiling water , 1 teaspoon of Citric acid , mix everything together stand overnight then strain into bottles .

13. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

no ida who the minister responsible is, but Ive sent this off to the PM

Dear Prime Minister
    I am sorry I am having to write to you, but the parliament web site doesnt have a search facility for the responsible minister, and with this query I really don't know who would be responsible.

Cottees cordial was once an Australian institution. Every kid in Australia grew up drinking Cottees cordial and making icey poles out of their cordials.

Schweppes, a British multi-national food conglomerate bought the Cottees brand and has set out to put at risk anyone who uses Cottees cordial.

Schweppes has decreed that the 2 litre bottle and the 750ml bottle of cordial will be replaced by a 1 litre bottle of concentrated cordial. With this change Schweppes/Cottees has got rid of the Australian sugar they used to make their cordial with and replaced it with a Singapore manufactured chemical, sucralose.

Sucralose is another of those massively sweet chemicals that replace sugars, saccharine is another, aspartame another. Saccharine is banned in parts of the world because it causes cancer and allowed in Australi. Ditto for aspartame, it is banned in parts of the world because it causes cancer yet it is available here.

Sucralose hasn't been found to cause cancer yet, but does cause thymus problems and is reported to have caused diabetes problems, exterme bloating of the limbs and gut. Some reports state a shrinking of the thymus by over 40%, the thymus is a gland responsible for part of our immune system.

Yet further scientifgic reports state that sucralose causes enlarged liver and kidneys, atrophy of lymph follicles int he spleen as well as the thymus, reduced growth rate, decreased red blood cell count, hyperplasia of the pelvis (enlargement of the tissuesin thepelvis including the urinary tract and birth canal), aborted pregnancies, diarhhea, decreased fetal weight. It is potentially a very dangerous chemical and the Australian testing was never designed fro the massive use of this chemical in just about every kid in Australia. We have a potential disaster on our hands.

Sucralose is authorised for use in Australia, but the authorisation for use did not contemplate that almost every Australian kid would be exposed to massive doses of the chemical throughout their growth years.

Can you guarantee that sucralose will be safe in the doses expected of Cottees cordial users?

Will you halt the use of sucralose in cordials until further testing is doen to ensure it is totally safe for our children.

Australia has a problem with allowing chemicals to be used, just recently up my way there have been macadamia farmers using legal chemicals which have cause massive genetic defects in fish breeding farms.

Will sucralose turn out to be safe or will we have caused massive damage to our children and grandchildren just so that a pommie multinational can make greater profits?

I urge you to have the responsible minister stop the use of sucralose until tests can be done that reflect the massive use expected by children in Australia.

14. DonHansford

Good one paradisi :D

15. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Well done paradisi... I for one am glad you're an opinionated bastard... ;)

16. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

if only I could spell it LOL

when I set up the blog there was all sorts of spell checkers fro what you write but not for what you called it

17. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

it was on the local radio this morning - or so I was told - missed it

it was supposed to have been on sunshine coast fm (ABC) at about 940 - - anyone know how to find the copies of the radio talk shows??

or did anyone hear it?

I was prob shot down in flames LOL

18. DonHansford

19. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

wexcellent Don thanks

last time I attacked radio stations was when there was only transcripts and you had to pay $30 a time (that was in the 90's)

20. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I made a really nice lemon cordial by making a syrup with water and sugar and lemon juice. I don't think i had to cook the lemon juice long. Dang actually i can't remember. It is quite a lot nicer than mere sweetened lemon juice so dig about for a recipe. I might have got mine online i can't remember now.