corrugated iron garden beds

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by dunc, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dunc

dunc Junior Member

I have been using currugated iron raised garden beds (the prefab ones) and have raved on about them for a long time. However, does anyone know what effect the corrosion / rusting process has on the soil, and if this is safe in the long term? Has anyone had them filled for more than a few years, if so, how are they going and are they rusting yet. I have been thinking about lining the walls of the beds with something, not sure what yet.

Dunc

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: corrugated iron garden beds

g'day dunc,

i suppose if we dig deep enough everything will be no good with their down sides, for me zinc treated corrugated would have to be safer than cca, and creosote treated old railway sleepers? after all some people drink out of zinc treated tanks.

as we get older we are planning on going to corrugated but not the prefabs just simply too expensive, instead flat roof sheets and galvanised star pickets will be our aim. this way as a sheet corrodes to the point of no return we can simply slip in another sheet. not pretty enough for some gardeners.

for younger people you realy don't need edging if you were to start with a bale bed, 3 years in and absolutely none of the original bales showing our beds are holding their shape, mostly due to the point that they are no-dig and no-walk on gardens. after all how much stooping is their when gardens are weed free and the only time stooping is required is at seedling planting time.

len

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

concrete building blocks work well as raised bed edges, last forever, take them if you move, and if you put them on the inside of the iron, filled them with 1inch/2 cm rock, the iron would heat them up even better than just the block/rock combination and extend your seasons :)

4. dunc

dunc Junior Member

sounds good sweetpea......I am going with the corrugated iron now. I have been using the 4inche thick concrete besser blocks, but the couch grass has invaded me and i am putting in permanant containment lines. Couch grass is my major weed invader here in northern rivers NSW.

I have plenty of the concrete blocks and the gravel so I think I might try the blocks inside the iron structure........the lime in the concrete may also help with slowly buffering pH against the acid soil.

Dunc

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day dunc,

couch and many others all on teh hit list just about everywhere.

no matter what edging you use it is still adviable to create a .5 meter weed barrier around the garden edges, we don't have any edging and we don't have any issues with grass couch or otherwise invading our beds.

len

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

They are nice for sticking PVC pipe in to make hoops or for forming a cover over the top. It will be interesting to see just how much warmer the soil gets. :)