"Cooking up a storm" British publication on food and climate change (2008)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by chook-in-eire, Feb 3, 2013.

1. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Came across this interesting British publication at work:

Cooking up a storm
    Food, greenhouse gas emissions and our changing climate
    Food Climate Research Network
    Tara Garnett
    Centre for Environmental Strategy
    University of Surrey
    September 2008
    https://www.fcrn.org.uk/fcrn/publications/cooking-up-a-storm

Interesting little snippet:
    Sound familiar?

2. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

"We need to develop systems"

I hope they don't mean "We have to develop a study group to produce a report to send to a committee for review and then develop a five-year plan to be implemented beginning in 2030." I guess I worry that some of these folks don't even know that a design system already exists and simply needs to be implemented. Additional studies and reports are not necessary at this point, action is!

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

forget systems, the systems run by the overlords has failed.

people need to get involved in their lives and DO things to help themselves, but look away from the distractions of sport and diverse tv programs.

len

4. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

You know, there is a lot of truth in that around here. Someone came into my book shop some time and I hadn't met them before. We talked a little and then she asked' So where are you this Saturday?'. I gave her a blank look. Seeing my incomprehension, she re-phrased 'Where's football for you this Saturday?' I said we don't follow local football. She looked at me like I was a new species previously unheard of. Made her goodbyes and a rapid exit. Football/Netball, golf, shooting anything that moves and Masterchef/Big Brother and Facebook rule the day here. Problem? What problem? I'm happy Jack.

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

It is possible to watch some TV and do other things in life. I watch some TV, and I work in the entertainment industry, and I do still manage to spend quite a bit of time on permaculture projects. I'm not saying TV and the entertainment industry are beneficial, I'm just saying they don't by themselves eliminate the ability to do other things. :) Working in showbiz as I do, I'm probably a little sensitive to the concept of "Hollywood" as a scapegoat. :think:

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I agree Ludi - you can catch Landline (Aussie rural show) at lunchtime on Sunday when you take a break from the garden, and if you need a long lunch it is followed by Gardening Australia. Don't know what is on after that as I'm back in the garden by closing credits!

7. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I wish we had those kinds of shows here in the US. I don't know if there are any gardening shows on TV anymore, though there used to be some good ones. We don't get any, that's for sure. I watch gardening videos on the computer. :)

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

We have a lot of rural shows here in Oregon, in fact Joel Salatin's farm was visited last week on tv. Also since Al Gore sold his station to Al Jazhera (sp?) we are about to have a whole lot of news sent over here about the climate, permaculture and more. I can't wait!

9. mouseinthehouse

I think my point was something else entirely. But I am not sure how to elaborate... :(

10. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Oh you know, we all have our little pet peeves. :) Don't mind me airing mine.

11. gardenlen

we watch landline to get sort of updated mostly it shows what the string pullers are doing to corrupt our food chain and what science is getting farmers to do along the same lines.

mm wonder what that ladys in the book shoppe meant? might take broad thinking, good to test the envelope and learn.

garden shows all but useless promote product and ego and plagiarise ideas.

len

12. mouseinthehouse

Len, she didn't mean anything really. She just assumed that like the majority of people in our town I would be going to watch the team I support wherever they were playing come that Saturday. I don't think she could fathom that I didn't follow a local football team and had no interest in it! Sacrilege!

13. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I combine AFL TV and Permaculture in my life,its all about diversity. ;)

14. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I like that!

:y:

15. gardenlen

join the club then mouseinthehouse,

i don't support any team of any code. did watch a bit of tennis as it and cricket were being forced won our throats so watching the top international players won out. might watch a bit of fishing but like gardening shows they ahve gone downhill too.

len

16. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

I couldn't get the link in the OP to work. But this one does (at least it did for me).

Did anyone, apart from the OP, actually read the document before commenting?

Cheerio, Markos

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I know I didnt, I have a very low attention span I blame on watching too much sesame street as a kid. :)

18. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I tried.

Too many stats and pie graphs for my liking - I tend to glaze over when it comes to stats and pie graphs.

I went for the quickly-scan-the-headings-for-points-of-interest approached but the headings were a bit bland :)

I really wanted it to catch my interest but, well, my attention span is obviously sesame street affected too...

19. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

In the same theme:

Vancouver Food Strategy: An equitable, sustainable, healthy city

The Vancouver Food Strategy is the City's powerful new tool for helping us meet our social, environmental, economic, and health goals.

It is a plan to create a just and sustainable food system for the city. It builds on years of food systems initiatives and grassroots community development, considering all aspects of the food system, from seed to table to compost heap and back again.

Rethinking Food Security

A generation of Australian elders remembers the scarcity of food during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The generation after experienced an eight-year period during and after WWII when families queued for food, coupons in hand. Now due to drought and fire, storm and flood, escalating food prices are familiar once again ... To make progress around the issue of food security, there is a case for focussing our attention less on climate change, commodity shortages, financial mismanagement and demographic change. We need to focus more on the localities where we live, where we work and where we recreate. These localities are our very own ecosystems which have usually been transformed from their original characteristics to suit our purposes. They may or may not be sustainable but it is for us to establish that and assume some responsibility for it.

Are our suburbs becoming the new farms?

WEDNESDAY, 20 FEBRUARY 2013
    TIME: 7PM - 9PM
    COUNCIL CHAMBER AT THE CIVIC CENTRE
    MOONEE PONDS (ENTER VIA PASCOE VALE RD)
    Cost: Free Entry
    Bookings: [email protected]
    9243 8888

We are seeing a great revival in gardening in our suburbs – in backyards, on balconies, in community gardens and even on nature strips. Why is that, and what does it mean for our suburbs?

Come along to discuss if gardening contributes to urban ecology and food security and to let us know how your garden shapes up.

Join the growing number of people hat are giving their thoughts and ideas.

Guest speakers include:

Michael Mobbs, creator of the Sustainable House in Sydney and author of Sustainable House and Sustainable Food

How urban gardens and backyards can reduce greenhouse emissions from growing, processing, transporting, selling and disposing food.

COUNCIL CHAMBER AT THE CIVIC CENTRE
    9 KELLAWAY AVE
    MOONEE PONDS, VIC 3039
    Australia

Cheerio, Markos