Cooee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by IndigoDingo, Sep 17, 2010.

1. IndigoDingo

IndigoDingo Junior Member

Hi people! What a cool forum! I am so excited about meeting you all!
    A little about me, I have bought a few acres in Red Hill Victoria, surely one of the most lucky parts of the country (I am biased, but we get lots of rain so rarely have to worry about bushfires or drought, have a great climate for producing wonderful fruit and veg, not not mention cheese and wine! and have loads of native wildlife even though only an hour from the city, and 5 minutes from the ocean)
    While I don't have the time to commit to any real production at the moment, I am very interested in restoring my land to a self-sustaining natural eco system. (with a view to getting more involved with permaculture as I go)
    Primary on my list is the dam - this comes from a natural spring, (I believe we are at the source of a major local stream) but the dam has been extended (a few years ago before I was there.) It is in a clay soil so is very muddy. The water level never gets any higher no matter how much rain there is, so it may even be leaking. I would love to know a healthy and natural way to clear the water (I don't expect it to be crystal, but the clay in the water I don't think is natural or healthy either.) :think:
    We have yabbies and frogs living in it so it can't be too bad, but any suggestions about plants or minerals to help settle the water would be greatly appreciated by a newbie! Thanks so much! :)

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Welcome to the forum indigodingo. Be sure to search previous posts for answers to your questions as there is a wealth of knowledge locked up in there.
    Leaking dams can self correct or you can assist with bacteria forming cow manure sludge applied to the wall of the dam. Cleaning up will come with a balance of pond life and may be assisted by floating a bale of straw in the dam.
    It wont hurt to try!

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hi Indigo, i've got no answers for you. Just noting how lucky you are to have reliable regular rainfall and climate for growing vegetables and everything else. Good luck with your dam.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Welcome Indigo.

Purplepear, do you mean an intact bale of straw? or one that is spread out loose?

Grahame

5. permup

permup Junior Member

See https://forums.permaculture.org.au/showthread.php?8398-Cooee which talks about Drumstick Tree Seeds crushed to a powder are used to clarify turbid, dirty water. The cleansing takes place by a process of electrical charges established between the muddy particles suspended in the water and the pulverised seeds, and gradually, after about an hour, the muddy particles are pulled to the bottom of the water by the force of gravity. Research shows that the seed not only settles the mud, but can carry with it over 90% of bacteria and viruses. A report published in New Scientist, December 1983, said that the seeds have been used in Sudan and Peru to purify muddy river water. It was also reported that seeds have antimicrobial activity. The seeds also have potential for treating sewerage water.

I also know it's important not to allow any trees to grow on or around the wall of your dam, as some species will dirty the water, not to mention compromise the integrity of your dam wall.

It might also be worth considering re-building your dam. Find a reputable dam builder who understands good construction. A well-built dam will have a gentle slope to its wall, and the whole dam (inside and wall) will have a good layer of topsoil placed back on top, to allow for grasses to re-grow before it fills again. This reduces turbidity, and adds a good layer of food for the upcoming eco-system. Re-building also alows you the opportunity to get rid of any trees. Plant your new dam wall with native grasses and don't allow trees to get a foot-hold.

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Just throw the whole bale in Grahame.

7. IndigoDingo

Wow! Thanks so much for your help and advice everyone!
    Purplepear, I have tried the straw bale (2 actually) - sadly it doesn't seem to be doing much good, although a friend told me the yabbies will be liking it! :)
    Sunburn, thanks, and yes, we are very lucky - I don't take for granted!
    Thanks Grahame, great to meet you.
    Permup, I think your are right about rebuilding the dam. The research I have done so far leads me to believe that when the dam was extended there was no layer of topsoil which I think is causing the clay problems. I don;t have the money to rebuild right now but will certainly consider it in the future, and in the meantime I will look into the Drumstick Tree seeds - sounds fascinating! I will let you know how I go!

Thanks so much everyone, so appreciate the welcome and advice! :)

8. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Barley straw in particular is supposed to contain certain things that help clear muddy water.

9. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

This is one of my favourite 'tips and tricks' I have ever learnt on this forum. So simple and so useful.

10. IndigoDingo

ah, thanks, might be the straw in my dam is not of the barley variety! Will try with barley straw and see if it makes a difference! thank you!

11. IndigoDingo

Hi Paula, I have searched the net but not sure about buying the quantity of seeds I would need for a dam from a nursery - this would be expensive I think, but the wholesale seed suppliers make me a bit nervous - not sure about sending money to Ghana! :) Do you know of any reputable suppliers of bulk seeds for crushing, as opposed to eating or growing? Thanks so much for your suggestion!

12. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I tried a barley straw bale for removing surface scum and it didn't work for me but perhaps my dam was to big. And remember to think how your going to get it out it will become sodden and extremely heavy and awkward to remove.by all means try though, I would like to know if it works on muddy water.I have heard that spreading top soil on top of the clay in newly built dams is the way to get them to clean up quicker.

13. permup

permup Junior Member

I'm not sure about how much drustick tree seed you would need. Its so hard to get anything like that in Australia sometimes. I was also speaking to my Mother about Diatomatious Earth yesterday, as I'm considering it as a natural de-wormer for my cats, and she said her father used to use it to stop dams from leaking. I thought I'd mention it.

14. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    The bales need time to work - you are building ecosystem with them and thay go to the bottom in time and continue to do good work

15. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

This is mass madness you maniacs!

do not throw straw in your dam man.....think "nutrient load".

now one player is on the frgn money, typical, a chic....a bit of electrical charge is holding the clay in solution.....turbidity...

it is desirable.

clear water is bad....it lets light get right in...it heats up as the wavelengths shorten....

when all the clear water people give this adivce,,,do they pause to think evaporative consequences?!...never mind the aquatic flora which a sensitive to the UV conditon.

water clearing is (should be) done on a scale that is smaller than dam size,,,,i suggest 'tank size'.

but i'm not going there, here.
    on topic water clearing, turbidity, electirical charge, soft/hard water......chuck in a bag of lime....builders lime...with just some stab holes in it....it will float then sink after a bit,,,doing a sort of slow release....works fast....eery clear.

probably take out every frog and taddy within cooee but the water is clear.
    the correct way is with alum, just a few handfuls.
    probably an aluminium derivative and poisonous as, but that is the standard approach around this neck of the woods.

straw bales...and lock up the dam for how long?
    straw bales as the source for the nutrient load that makes the algal bloom that putrefies the water that seals the dam you maniacs ( i love you )

kimbo

16. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Wake up to yourself Kimbo, This silly rave may give the impression you do not know what you are talking about.

The straw will not add signifintally to the nutrient load in the water. It is mostly carbon and silica and will activate pond life to bring balance to the water.

I love you Kimbo - don't go away again please.

17. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

your kidding

bullshit PP,

to say the straw bale is mostly carbon with a touch of silica and therefore not a pollutant is 'cross eyed badger spit'.

all living things are mostly carbon, that is what 'organic' is.

let us use a small dog for an example....less carbon than a straw bale, a touch of silica and a couple of other powders.....we tie a rock to it and chuck it in....

it pollutes our dam as does the straw bale....yes the yabbies will enjoy it to a point....we are talking about 'nutrient load'....too much nutrient = algae,
    algae cause algal bloom, oyygen depletion, stagnation, purification, turns hell slimy, bubbles and stinks,,,,
    and seals the dam....
    sure...no worries ....but taking the dam out of the system and going sans water

as for turbidity and the desirability of this in a dam....I stand by my statements.
    as for clearing water at a scale that makes sense...tank...i stand by my statements.

a heavy handed approach to achieving an aesthetic of 'clear water' on a scale the size of a dam would beg the question why? ....

18. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Turn it up Kimbo. To say that a body of water in balance is asthetics is plain silly. When you do something like constructing a body of water you need to be responsible for bringing it into balance and the straw can assist. To say that turbidty is a desirable state is like lying in a bed with shit on the blankets. Not only do you not need to do it but you have a responsibility to fix it.

19. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Grahame looks from one shoulder to the next...

I wonder if my internal conflict is reaching some tipping point

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Poor Indigo Dingo. His welcome thread has been hijacked by a permie with men on his shoulders.... ;)