Composting Worms For Sale

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Hi Briansworms.

I had a good colony of worms until a few weeks ago when the heat wave killed all my worms :sweat:

When will you have more avail Red Wrigglers ? I would like to organise a pickup when you do.

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I have some available now but are just a bit smaller than I normally sell. Just means more worms for you. I have out of stock on the website just to slow the orders lol.

3. briansworms

Brian's Worms are now selling Woodies ( Speckled Feeder Roaches) They are used to feed reptiles. In conjunction with a friend I am looking into suppling Black Soldier Fly larvae. Still doing research on it so any info on packing, storing and pricing would be appreciated. I did a Google search for suppliers and it appears there is none that I could find. BSF larvae are a super food for reptiles, fish and chickens.

4. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

Thanks Brian, I find all your information very helpful and interesting.

I have a 3-tier worm farm that I have had for less than a month and it is not yet as busy as I could have hoped. Following the instructions I had a layer of cardboard and coco coir on top of that. The bedding was much too wet this morning (probably always was) so the layer of cardboard has been scraped up to hopefully allow better drainage.

There is some horse manure available not too far from here and that will be the next thing to try. Does it smell in a worm farm?

5. briansworms

Hello Brassoman
    Cardboard and coir offer the worms nothing in nutritional value. Coir can contain salt so needs to be soaked and rinsed really well. Horse manure is the best to use. No it won't smell.
    How many worms dif you start with?

6. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

I started with 1200 from bunnings as I was eager to start up. Interestingly the box had a website with something like www.drworms.com.au and the site doesn't exist at all.

There was also a huge amount of tiny white worms, which I understand are caused by acidic conditions. I sprinkled on a good bit of it.

I have the farm in the laundry currently. Do you think the noise and vibration from the washing machine may disturb them?

The changes hopefully have a good effect. We'll find out in a few weeks..

7. briansworms

I mesnt to say the coir is acidic. Add some dolomite. Yes move them away from the washing machine. The vibrations will bother them.

8. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

I'll give the dolomite a try. Should I add a teaspoon or a handful?

9. briansworms

A good handful and lightly water in. They prefer alkaline. Take the worm farm instructions and feef them to thr worms. Fill two trays with manure with no gaps between the layers and keep very damp

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Brassoman: Keeping in mind there is significant sinkage when using horse manure with worms. Watch that air gap as they convert the manure from round lumps into something indistinguishable from horse manure.

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ah yes - lovely fluffy stuff that is almost so good that you want to sprinkle it on your toast!

12. briansworms

Ok on the Big Puter now and off the phone. We should be allowed to go back over our own posts and edit the phone spelling mistakes. Not my fault I cant see the text very well on the phone.

Ok now those worms. Yes as SOP said no gaps between the layers. When you get the horse poo really wet it and drain off the excess water. Mine have got a bit fussy over the Sumer and now like it rinsed and drained most of the time. Could just be any urine in the manure is stronger not sure. Don't believe stories about worming products killing your worms. I tested a sample over a few weeks and couldn't kill any so myth busted. Now how much do you like your new lid on the farm?? Do your worms a favour and put it away somewhere safe as you don't need it. Just the felt mat that came with it. Did you get Worm Farm Conditioner with the farm? Probably just very expensive Dolomite.

Feed your worms only when the food is gone. No fresh food or you will attract Black Soldier Fly. This is a good thing though. Freeze all your veggie scraps then feed the worms. Autumn and Spring are breeding seasons so getting them into manure asap will take advantage of the season. They do breed all year round but when it is too hot or cold they slow up dramatically. Always keep your farm topped up with manure.

The best way to do it is tip the second layer down into the bottom layer then the top into the 2nd. Then always fill the top with fresh manure. As I said above fill only 2 layers for now as you don't have enough worms to be really effective for probably 6 months. So more space will only spread the worms you have too thin for effective breeding. Give them about 3 to 4 months and then add the top layer. After a while your farm will start producing castings that SOP was talking about and Eco wants on toast. This will gradually work its way down as you water your farm and your bottom layer will eventually look like mud. Use this on your garden.

The very famous Worm Wee. Sorry mate just another myth. Worms don't wee. What you are actually getting is leachate which is just moisture from in the farm draining down. This can be toxic to your plants. The best thing to do when you get enough castings is to water the farm and allow it to drain. This flushes the castings out of the farm into liquid fertilizer. Just tell everyone it is worm wee and they will understand lol.

I did mention the lid. All this is good for is creating a sweat box or oven for your worms should the sun get on it. Worms need air flow over the bed and lids just don't allow this. I get a lot of emails over summer from people who have cooked their worms and they all have lids on those multi layered farms. All my tubs are single tray with no lids just cover mats. The very lovely Eco has been to Worm Central and can back this up. I had a large black tub in full sun the other year and I nearly burnt my hand on the side. It was a 35 deg day. The worms were just inside the tub about 50mm from the hottest side. The bed didn't heat up because f no lid and plenty of volume in the bed and plenty of moisture, plus no lid.

Speaking of heating up. If your manure is really fresh just add about 50mm to the layer and leave a few days then add some more. This is to prevent it from heating up. Stick with me and your worms will continue on indefinitely. Check out my website in case I missed something

13. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

And, my operation is nothing like Brian's, but I will add some things.

A lid, I have to have one now due to rats in the neighbourhood. It's a big, wooden door that lies on top of the bathtub and would, no doubt, heat up (full shade area). It's covered in condensation when I take it off. No issues for the worms. Is this because I have an air void underneath the casting layer, who knows? This may allow some cooling, or a cooler area for the worms to avoid cooking themselves. So, a lid can work, if rats are eating the hell out of your food. Probably not in the popular (for whatever reason) worm tower. Is Bunnings responsible, Brian?

And to interject, I had an online conversation who was a worm scientist (full-time worm studier) and they tested leachate versus worm liquid, and found that it was beneficial in certain situations so I wouldn't be scared of it. I don't water my worm farm at all, all my food has water added in a blending process and will leak out in what I assume is a casting/vegetable blended water leachate and I have no issues.

I almost asked Brian's advice the other day as my kids got rats, which then wild rats got into their rat food (funny, huh?) and spoiled it all. I threw a large bucket worth of spoiled grain pellets into the worm farm, which then proceeded to heat up heavily and go mouldy. Since I use the half/half method in a largish area, the worms all moved to the edges and into the other area and attacked the food from there. They still haven't moved fully back in and the rat food is still warm in places. Obviously not something to do in a small area, they would have been killed.

Heating up with fresh manure I sorted in a different way. Biochar mixed in at a 30/70 to 20/80 ratio. Takes the heat out immediately as the biochar starts soaking up nitrogen.

Brian is the worm man and is ultimately responsible for dozens of donations of worms from me to needy people. Think of me as the Worm Robin Hood, stealing from Brian and giving to the poor. Thanks, Brian.

14. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

Excellent. I've filled a second layer almost entirely with horse poop. Didn't drain it though. Big bag of dolomite lime, I'll be adding some when they're ready for a feed.

Earlier, after allowing some water to drain and adding the over priced dolomite the worms appear far healthier already.

15. briansworms

Brassoman please don't go the way of SOP. He is killing my worm business with his free worms. I gave him an inch and he took a mile lol. No it is all good, plenty of buyers and willing receivers of freebies to go round. Sharing and helping is what it is all about. Not too many fools would get into the worm business as it is a lot of hard work.

Had a chap screw me down on price yesterday. I don't like doing that because mine are cheaper than Bunnings by half and it took me ages to pack the required amount as well. He had a bad experience with another worm breeder and was ripped off so it cost him more in time and fuel but he drove nearly 100 km to return them and get his money back just on the principal of the thing. He was surprized by my honour system. If I am not home the worms are there labelled and leave the money in the old boot. It will work well till I get ripped off. I said to him bad news travels faster than good news so I never rip anyone off and he will get what he paid for. Sadly he contacted me on a private number so I can contact him to see if he is happy. He should be fine as he got the 1kg he paid for.

The user name Brassoman? Ex Military? I used to use a lot of Brasso back in my Army days

I meant to say that once you get them into the manure you will notice a big difference. Over the coming weeks look for a swollen clitellum just back behind the head. This will mean the are coming on heat and then look out for small green eggs that look like grape seeds. These will be on and under the surface in the top tray. They will turn yellow then reddish and brown about 3 weeks after they are laid. They young wont be noticeable for a while as they are very tiny.

Cardboard and coir is like buying Mc Donalds and throwing away the burger and just eating the packaging. Just no value in it at all.

16. briansworms

17. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

Hahah!

Nah I'm not ex-military. A bit young lol. I sort of collected that name somewhere, and I tend to use it online.

I have noticed a few baby worms. Gee they're little...!

18. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

Horse poop is getting a bit stinky. Loads of little fruit fly looking things attracted to it.

I've moved it outside again for now.

Haven't seen much worm activity however there was one green egg which I was so curious about, thinking it may have been fertiliser.. I squished it.

Thinking perhaps there was just too much poop for the small amount of worms?

Brian, I'm going to place an order.

19. briansworms

Insect life in and around a worm farm is a good thing. If there was none look for a problem.

If you only have a small number of worms you don't need a lot of space for them or their breeding could be slowed down. I remember now you bought 1200 from Bunnings and they were on coir and cardboard for about a month. Hmmm don't get excited too much yet as they need time to get up to size. They will be stimulated by the manure but once again need a little time to grow out.
    Buying more worms from me will be great as it is my only income at the moment. Still no work again tomorrow.

You don't need to buy more but they will just take longer to establish. If you do want more I can post tomorrow via Express Post.

20. brassoman

brassoman Junior Member

Sent you an email. I wasn't so keen on waiting for it to establish while it's going to smell...
    Perhaps for the meantime I'll also sprinkle some dirt over the top