composting pile

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by miss.vitalis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. miss.vitalis

miss.vitalis Junior Member

today I just made my first composting pile! it looks like s... but i hope it works! it needs a cover too, i'll do it tomorrow. :partyman:
    I have alot of plant material to put in it, but I have to shred it in some way, and that's alot of work to do!

[​IMG]

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Your bin looks great! Good for you! You can still compost your clippings without shredding, it just takes longer. But I've found that I don't have time to shred and compost, and it's better to have a pile going rather than put off what feels like too much work. You'll still have usable compost on the bottom you can use while the bigger stuff is still working.

:D

3. miss.vitalis

Thanks!
    I really have tons of material, cause we are in the process of cleaning the garden in frot of the house, plus we have a big property that no one really cared for, so it is leterally all covered in weeds.
    I have a problem with them, cause they are all like trees now, and it will take years for them to decompose if I do not shred them in some way. I have alot of ivy, and a forest of bay (Laurus?)
    alot of work!!

4. miss.vitalis

it's me again. I did some changes on the construction, so it looks better now, and has a door that opens on the front.

a few days ago I got me a shreder :blob3:

today I shred my first green's, and I added straw - that is a few years old, and was left out in the garden, so it is a little bit changed, it looks to me like it is already turning into compost, even smels like earth. so I hope this straw acclerates the composting.

guys, wish me luck for my first compost-making! :wav:

5. miss.vitalis

it's me again! today I stuck my hand in the middle od the pile - it was realy hot! I'm so happy thai it works!!! :hello1:

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Junior Member

if you put some comfrey leaves in your compost it will help it to decay faster. You probably have some growing somewhere if it's over run with weeds. Have fun. :D

7. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Good news about a hot compost pile!!! Be careful, though, it can get up to 150 degrees!!! It's always safer to test with the back of your hand, because we can sense temperatures sooner there.