composting ivy

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by miss.vitalis, Jun 11, 2005.

1. miss.vitalis

miss.vitalis Junior Member

I have alot of this plants growing around the house. as I understand this is ivy (in english). I read somewhere that there are poisonous tipes.
    this is the picture of my ivy - do you think this is poisonous and can I put it in the composting pile?

[​IMG]

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Are you referring to poison ivy? Is that why you think some "ivy" is poison? Obviously ivy is not edible, so it's not that kind of "poison". But English ivy is not poison ivy. English ivy is evergreen, poison ivy is deciduous, the leaves turn red in the fall (they are beautiful but dangerous), and drop off.

Here's the old saying for identifying poison ivy: Leaves of 3, let them be.'

And you can see from the pics on the site below, the three leaves come out at the same point.

Here's the site:

https://www.poison-ivy.org/

Your leaves don't do that. Your one leave has three points, but that's entirely different.

The only thing that English ivy will do is root itself like a weed, and will often survive composting, then take over other plants with shade and nutrition competition and win. It can also latch onto grout between bricks and break it down, thus allowing moisture and insects into brick buildings.

The best way to compost ivy (not poison ivy) is to put it in a silver metal garbage can with a lid, in the sun, and cook it until it is very dead. Then compost it. They way it won't transplant itself and cause you tons more work.

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Sweetpea is correct: KILL it before you compost it, and make sure that it is very, VERY dead.

Sue

4. miss.vitalis

miss.vitalis Junior Member

thanks sweetpea! alot of informations I got from you!
    I can see I have a "regular" ivy :hippy2: , and yes, it is spreading all over. I will try with the metal bin.