Compost thermometers and weather stations

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by hinga, Mar 21, 2014.

1. hinga

hinga Junior Member

Evening all

I'm looking at increasing my compost production once we take over our new 10 acre farm and was wondering if anyone has any types/brands of compost thermometers they recommend? Price/ pros cons etc

also has anyone played around with weather stations for recording local conditions. I live in a very windy part of Victoria and hope to get very local records for interest sake and garden designs.

any advice greatly appreciated

hinga

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hello Hinga,

For a weather station, I've been considering this: https://www.amazon.com/ULTIMETER-Weather-Station-40-ft-sensor/dp/B009NGWPZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381280666&sr=8-2&keywords=peet+ultimeter+800
    It is a wired station (not wi-fi) and so has limitations on how far from the house it can be installed. For me that means that the wind speed and direction may be slightly off due to proximity to trees and buildings.

This forum: https://www.wxforum.net/ has a good section on station types and reviews to help in your choice. Let us know what you ultimately get!

3. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

How did you go with this? I am currently looking into an Oregon scietific station myself and would be interested in what decision you made in the end.

4. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

A little more research and make that an acurite 5in1 that I am looking at.