Compost mulch pits

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by phantom, Jul 12, 2010.

1. phantom

phantom Junior Member

Hi Folks,,

Im designing an espalier fruit tree garden as a volunteer for a primary school beside a tennis court.
    Its pretty much 6 fruit trees on two trellis's, then a 16 metre pit next to each trellis, then natives and bee attracting plants on the other side of the pit. The pit is about 60cm from the nearest plants and trees.

I guess my aim with this design was to set up a system where I capture free runoff water from the oval and car-park above the area which gets stored and infiltrated into the pits and gives the fruit trees a drink and at the same time these pits would break down and feed the soil life and plants and fruit trees nearby, and attract worms to the area..Then once the pits have broken down, I can turn the materials over every 5 months or so and use the compost around the fruit trees.

I know this may not work in summer very well with out irrigation connected,, but I was going to experiment?? any thoughts?

• pits are 16mtrs x 60cm W x 40cm Deep (bathtub-like shape)
    I was going to put cardboard, then soil, then straw, then pigeon manure, then straw, the more soil, then a thick layer of mulch in the pits, as they will get walked on occasionally.

Has any one tried this. Ive heard and seen mulch pits in action, but what about with compost added or fresh manure layers added for my purpose?

Any thoughts would help? Thanks folks...

Phantom

2. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

This sounds like something that would be in Brad Lancaster's books, Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond. But I've only seen the first book, so far.
    https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

It sounds reasonable. I know composting can break down petroleum products, but I'm not sure about radiator coolant. And it certainly sounds better than doing nothing.

Sue

3. phantom

phantom Junior Member

thanks, we used no compost for now or manure. Will see how it goes.

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I'm curious to know how it goes. Can you report back in some time?

5. phantom

phantom Junior Member

Yeah sure,, we just got most of the blitz done last weekend,, was going to throw a heap of legume seeds around the fruit trees.Stay tuned for progress