Complete Diet Garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by jmygann, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

Are there any Complete Diet Gardens ?

In the USA?

what is the diet ??

2. buff orpington

buff orpington Junior Member

Re: Complete Diet Gaarden

get yourself a breatharian designer, they do exist, they cant do much but they are about (unfortunately). we had a breatharian kitchen co-ordinator at bills farm in tyalgum
    I busted him one night being a vita wheatarian. so he chucked in that gig and went on a carrot juice diet, he turned orange, he's an alcoholic now
    and spends his weekend spraying lantana with round-up. pity. anyway your whole garden is a diet regime, keep it simple pimple.

3. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

Re: Complete Diet Garden

thanks,

I am trying to discover how much land I would need (in optimum conditions) to grow all my own food. I am in N. California , which is pretty close to optimum.

from what I have read ... dry corn , dry beans, and vegetable oil seeds would be the highest calorie producers and most effective to get 2000 calories/day continuously.

this would be supplemented with squash ,vegetables (raw and cooked) seasonal and dried fruits , nuts etc.

anyone know of any complete diet gardens in existence ??

4. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Re: Complete Diet Gaarden

Look up Jeavons for growing all your food needs in a small area. John Seymour has also written a lot on self-sufficiency. Both aim to provide for a complete diet from a garden.

5. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

have been to Jeavons several times ... could not see what diet was being eaten although the books tend to point to Corn and Beans

Are there any permaculture units that do not import their food ?

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Why would you want to do this? Nature doesn't work in a quarter acre section alone.

7. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

1/4 acre does not give one a diet ... that was a mathematical extrapolation by Jeavons.

Just wondering why the permaculturist literature doesn't address food supply.

Like ...what would the diet be ? How far do they go to import their food ?

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

I think you've misunderstood my question. I wasn't referring to Jeavon, I was asking why you would want all your food to come from your garden. Is that what this thread is about? I don't know what "Complete Diet Gardens" is, and google yields only half a dozen hits.

So I'm curious what you are asking, and why.

Myself, I'm happy to bring in resources and food from outside the 'garden', where that makes sense in a sustainable way. eg I eat feral meat because we have a surplus of certain animals here and that seems a better idea than trying to raise meat from a garden.

9. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Huh?

Everything I've ever read on permaculture discusses growing edibles! And also incorporating animals for eggs, meat, milk, honey, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question, but wouldn't the "diet" consist of all the edibles being grown? Jeavons doesn't just grow corn and beans!

10. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

If I wanted to have control over my food. know how it was grown etc , In my mind the best way would be to grow it myself.

So, how much space would I need in say a Mediterranean climate like I have ?

what would I grow , what would the daily/weekly diet be ?

I have not found anyone who has done it .. sustainably or other wise.

"Permaculture principles provide a way of thinking that enables people to establish highly productive environments that provide for food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs."

Providing for food ???

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Theoretically it's possible and the kind of food depends on your soil and climate and what you like to eat.

However in reality the reason no-one has done this before is because it's not really sustainable. Obviously many people for hundreds of thousands of years have produced their own food, they just didn't try and do it a quarter acre (or whatever size). The point being that we are interdependent with the rest of the world.

I'm not sure what you mean by having control of your food. Do you mean you know it won't have pesticides? Are you going to remediate the soil first? What about if you neighbours want to spray on a windy day? Or chemicals that come down in the rain?

Or do you mean food security. I don't believe that it's possible to have food security from one person trying to grow all their own food. There's no way around being reliant on other people and other life.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you are wanting. But this is a permaculture forum, which is about the whole deal.

You'd need to provide more information too eg how many people are you growing for, what is your soil, climate, aspect like? How much rainfall? Access to water storage? What already grows there, introduced, native? How much time do you have? Will you have access to oil technology or be working with muscle power? Are you intending to bring in material from offsite? Do you already have gardening skills? etc.

I do know people that grow alot of their own foods. They get meat and dairy from off property though. And there are two adults.

I think one of Bill Mollison's videos shows about growing a food forest that is meant to provide enough food for people without importing. That was in the tropics though and I'm not sure if it was ALL food. They're worth looking at though for information and ideas.

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I once heard that you could live off baked beans for 5 years before you started to get serious health problems. I have no idea if there is any actual evidence to support this or not but it's a nice story. I imagine you might not have many close friends or family by the end of the 5 years though :D

I've heard this same question asked about a million times in a million different ways and there are about a million different answers.

If I understand your question right you are asking, how much land do you need to grow all of the food you need to live a nutritionally healthy life? My answer is I don't know. There are soooooo many variables that you need to take into consideration. How much do you eat?, what do you want to eat?, what type of soil do you have?, how much rain do you get?, etc. etc. ad infinitum. How good are your gardening skills? Are you happy to eat weeds? snails?

Oh I just read pebble's last response....

What pebble said

13. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

I thought someone said Jeavons did it ... but when I read the literature it was a theoretical extrapolation.

Even Biosphere 2 did not work out

O well, I guess I am the only one alive who has done it ... just thought I would check with the permaculturists.

what do I have to do to make my garden/farm a permaculture unit or how do I become a permaculturist ?

14. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

You've already grown all your own food from a piece of land? Then why did you ask this:

???

15. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

trying to find someone else who did it, and what the diet was, and how much land it took.

Maybe there is a better way a more ecological way, or a different way or a permaculture way ???

Jeavons and biosphere 2 were theoretical.

So far I have not found any permaculturists who are into food calorie production

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

What did you do, how and how much land? Organic? How long for? What was your diet like?

"So far I have not found any permaculturists who are into food calorie production?

What is food calorie production? Do you mean that yields are counted in calories that humans can eat?

17. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

organic

for over 12 years

all calories came from garden

each year ..we each raised dry yellow corn ... dry beans , squash , seasonal vegetables

Trees ... olive , almond, apples , apricots , and grapes

no importing ... no fertilizer .. fallow and crop rotation

approx 2.5 acres / adult for calories

some tree crops were sold

Northern California

18. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

So in 12 years you never ate anything that didn't come from the land you were growing on?

How many people?

You still haven't said what you mean by food calorie production.

I'm at a loss to know what this thread is about.

19. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

Year round food supply....? I'm impressed if anyone has achieved it. I would say that in most cases barter for variety is bound to happen unless you are very strict about ONLY eating own produce - or unless you are isolated from society.

I would like to know whether I could do it. It would give me a feeling of security to feel that if needs must I could manage to feed my family largely from our land.

So, here I have produced whole meals from our own produce fairly frequently. I have even eaten for whole days from home produce (although the family like bread, butter & breakfast cereals.)

To produce food for the whole year of course, requires not only growing it all, but also dealing with a massive glut at one point in the year and preserving it for the leaner time of year.

I do this to a limited extent. I grew loads of toms last year and spent quite a bit of time bottling up tomato sauce (skins & all in my case - too much wastage & too time consuming to remove them... besides I like them in cooking). I didn't buy any tinned tomatoes last year as a result and we used the last jar a couple of weeks ago, just as the new toms are starting to ripen.

Now this needs to be accomplished for every food stuff in order to be self sufficient - and each will require different storage techniques and it will be a learning curve to discover which ways to store things that work for individual requirements. Last year I dried loads of courgettes (zuchinni) but hardly used any. This year I'm turning them into courgette and onion soup and bottling it (pressure canner required as it is low acid). Family have already approved this recipe so I anticipate it getting used more.

We have home-reared pork in the freezer and potatoes in the ground (which here in Ireland can often be lifted throughout the winter rather than all in the autumn provided the tops are removed before blight strikes). Also various other things are preserved in various ways......

Yet we are nowhere near self-sufficient. Nor could we practically be, with the whole family being in FT work or FT education. However I like to experiment and I am planting more and more perennial species that will look after themselves a bit. I wonder what percentage of calories we produce? The pigs would be the most energy dense - but then we import their feed so that is not strictly entirely home produced.

Interesting topic.

20. jmygann

jmygann Junior Member

"So in 12 years you never ate anything that didn't come from the land you were growing on?"

Correct ... occasional neighborhood potluck/party which we took our food also

"How many people?"
    three

"You still haven't said what you mean by food calorie production."

Producing enough calories from your garden to give you the needed calories daily

To answer another question ....
    storage ... dry storage ... no refrigeration ... try to eat fresh as much as possible .. year round vege garden