Companion plants that are suitable for the lower Mid North Coast of NSW.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by RodT, Dec 18, 2013.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:)

2. RodT

RodT Junior Member

Lee grew up in Sydney and was of the belief that her mob were Wiradjuri, but in the last couple of years it has come to light that her mob also have ties to Kamilaroi which borders Nganaywana. (looking at the map for language areas it looks like you live in Nganaywana)
    Dare I say Lee would be very close to here ancestral home at your place.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

And there we have it. The magic touches the earth….

4. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    Wow, This threat changed topic a hundred times as I read through all the pages, you lot like to jump subjects! Haha

I would like to back-track for a moment to pages 2-4 where we were talking about being far away from family... This is something on my mind too - I'm living in the big smoke at the moment but the mid-term plan (within 10 years) is to be living up north full time... as part of the transition process, I expect to be travelling to Sydney monthly if I am lucky enough to do my current job remotely - in this situation I'd be happy seeing my family every month, or maybe every other month as it requires. (and once we've accumulated enough capital to start, to drop the Sydney work and be self-sufficient)

Anyway, I'm in my mid-twenties now but in 10 years all sorts of things might come into play like marriage, children (Children make me ill right now but I am not completely ignorant about the biological clock I suppose) - I'm sure this will all have an impact about how I might feel about being away from my parents and siblings, especially 8 hours away. If all goes to plan I will have my partner, and a few friends - but no family.

One might suppose that in a worst-case scenario, society might have begun to implode by then and they might move up to live with us if they need to have a stable source of food; however based on current trends I don't really think it'll go that fast, maybe 20-30 years.
    In Holmgren's model for energy descent he describes a bit of a suburban utopia where families can live closer together (if not on the same property), while I think on a 1/4 acre block I'd not enjoy living so close, on a couple of acres that'd actually be really nice, if everyone had their own spaces. I think that's a really useful model moving forward that would allow owners to pass on their land, their work and their wealth knowing it'd be looked after, and would also help resolve the issue so many baby boomer permaculturists have as they get older; where to find younger people to take over their work when they can't do as much any more.

So I wonder to myself - despite the euphoria of being able to live Permaculture, will it all be sort of dulled if I constantly pine for my family? Perhaps I should sacrifice moving rural for another 5 years and save up to have something closer to the city (maybe 2-3hrs away)... but how will that be impacted by development moving outwards, will it get built out before long?

So I want to say that you all aren't alone here - it isn't just parents and empty-nesters :)