Comfrey

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Chook Nut, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi all,

Just thought I would quickly share a little about a new use i found for this plant.

Yesterday i was carried off injured from soccer after a hard kick into my knee :( ... it was hard enough to draw blood and ice did little to soothe the pain.... anyway... i know your thinking poor diddums and typical soccer player whinning about the slightest blow.... but one of my teammates moms asked if i grew any Comfrey and i said yes ... i knew the chooks love it and it makes a good compost tea and compost activator etc etc... and she told me to pick a couple of leaves and bruise them, then apply them to the area and make sure its wrapped in place.

I didnt get home till late that night and did as she said and left it on overnight and 'voila' hardly even an ache and more surprising no bruising. I had forgotten that another name Comfrey is given is 'Knit Bone' which was a medieval use for ppl with broken bones.

Just wanted to share this so that if any of you get any "serious" soccer injuries :oops: or something more serious :D that there may be something handy in your garden that you can use.

Cheers... Dave

2. makehumusnotwar

makehumusnotwar Junior Member

hi dave. glad the comfrey eased your pain, but did you end up winning the game? can comfrey do that too?

i only found out about comfrey a few months ago myself, and since then i've discovered so much information on this humble herb - there doesn't seem to be much the plant doesn't do. i recently cut myself pretty well with a stanley knife (again - one day i'll learn) and so grabbed some nearby comfrey, crushed the leaves and pressed them straight onto the wound. the bleeding stopped straight away, as well as the pain, and it healed up nicely and rather quick considering i didn't even clean the wound or dress it.

there's a whole lot of controversy about comfrey being used internally, but then the studies behind this seem to be rather uninformed. it is listed as a banned poison (internal use), as it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids. the studies were conducted on young rats, which were fed ground up roots and leaves, or another case where the isolated concentrate was injected into the peritoneal cavity. for a start, we don't eat the alkaloid in an isolated form, and it has been said that for an equivalent dosage in humans an average 70kg man would have to consume the alkaloids from around 19,880 leaves for a possible toxic effect. don't know about you, but i can't see myself eating that much comfrey.
    The legislation bans it's use for therapeutic purposes, but it's allowed to be eaten as food! ? my guess is, comfrey works a bit too well and pharmaceutical companies aint too happy about that as they can't patent and sell a plant. like anything, moderation is the key. even too much good ol water can do damage to you.
    if anyone's interested in more info, i recommend isabell shipard's book "how can i use herbs in my daily life?" an australian book, it has over 7 pages on comfrey alone and is fantastic for medinal and culinary uses on hundreds of other herbs. there are also entire books dedicated to comfrey.

3. ruralpeasant

ruralpeasant Junior Member

Hi All,
    sometime ago I stepped off my verandah and heard this horible load crack as I twisted my ankle.I applied some blended up comfrey roots to it, held in place with a bandage.The next morning I could put my weight on the ankle and the comfrey had brought the bruising out.
    Great herb,can't grow too much of it.
    Kurt

4. Guest

Hi all,

We actually drew the game 4-4. We were quite happy with that... the team is top of the table and haven't been defeated or had a draw this year! We are looking forward to the next encounter.

I have heard that eating Comfrey isnt that great for you. Will have to look at Shepards book... seeing as i have it.

Cheers ... Dave

5. Guest

We ate battered and fried comfrey leaves during our PDC course. Not bad, and I'm still here. Try one as a novelty, just don't eat it too often.

Mont

6. junglerikki

junglerikki Junior Member

I've cooked up battered comfrey leaves a few times, they remind me of pappadums. I also add them to my potato beds as they are rumoured to accumulate potassium from the soil which potatoes love :)