cocoa

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by colours, Jun 8, 2008.

1. colours

colours Junior Member

After spending over $4 on no frills cocoa today I pledged to research growing my own. Went to Wikipedia which said that cocoa will only grow in a limited zone about 20° from each side of the equator. Has anyone had any experience with growing it? I use cocoa a fair bit in cooking and was even more keen on it after I read about the health benefits in wikipedia.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: cocoa

where are you?

I've grown theobroma cacao on the sunshine coast in Australia - 100km norht of brisbane - - it lived for 2 years - - but was obviously struggling. the plant ended up dead after a severe rain storm - the place got flooded for four days or so

give it a go and see what happens

or try carob as a replacement

3. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Paul Kean -Ringo- Junior Member

Hi there,

I worked on a sustainable cocoa agroforestry project in Vietnam a couple of years ago.Try checking the Forestry Science Institute Vietnam for research findings.Cocoa thrives in certain hot spots around the globe and Vietnam is one of those places.It requires 70% shade and tropical humid conditions as in Vietnam.
    Moving to Vietnam would be worth consideration if you are that fond of cocoa.Try contacting Darren Doherty (https://www.permaculture.biz) he may also be able to advise you.

Ringo

4. colours

colours Junior Member

thanks Ringo, might have problems with the visa situation if my claim was that I couldn't justify living in Aust with the current price of cocoa!

5. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Colours,

We grow cacao here in Belize. I worked for 7 years for a small chocolate company. We are at 16 degrees north in Belize. Where are you?

Christopher