Cockroaches

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by -, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Guest

Someone recently suggested cucumber for cockies - which I tried, but they just ATE IT!

Alongside recent rain, I seem to have an invasion going on here...

They are those little brown ones, that I have heard referred to as German Cockroaches - but don't know if that is there real name or just an insult.

I NEED A SOLUTION.

Am more than happy to try alternative or home remedies - and would also thoughtfully consider chemical treatments.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I haven't tried it myself, but Diatomaceous Earth is supposed to kill them. An idea: put a good bit of DE on an old plate with a lump of bait in the middle. My theory is that they would have to wade through the DE to get to the bait. The DE works its way under the carapace and cuts and dehydrates them & they die.

The DE is totally non-toxic, thus there is no build-up of tolerance like there would be to poison.

They were using it poison, but someone I used to know used cheap canned dog food as bait.

Good luck! I HATE those things!

Sue

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

RF and Sue,

Boric acid will kill them, and is pretty no toxic. Place it against wall, under sink, behind fidges, etc, where roaches run, hide and live.

In Ohio, a local tree, the "Osage Orange" has a fruit that is inedible, but one fruit in each room will empty your house of roaches.

Good luck, if you aren't ignoring me..... :lol:

C

4. sab

sab Junior Member

We had an invasion here a couple of months ago. It was creepy. I live in Manila. They were coming out of the drain in front of our house in their thousands - did anyone see "Joe's Apartment?" It was like that. Then they ran over the garden wall and made a beeline for the house. I thought it might be the prelude for an earthquake but it was only happening in 3 drains in our street.

5. christopher

Widgeenut,

I was in a little house in Livingston, Guatemala, that got over run by roaches. Incredible! Huge, wings, nasty looking with huge heads and eyes that I swear I could see looking at me.

Never seen anything like it again.

We also get huge roaches, um, periplaneta giuganticus (maybe :lol: ), and they creep me out.

Dawn wanted to send one to her little brother, so she put it in a jar, in the sun, and left it there for wa week.

It lived...

She tried putting alcohol in the jar, left it FLOATING AND SWIMMING there for two weeks(?!?!?!?!)...

It lived.....

She fed it to a chicken...

It, finally, died.....

THE END

C

6. sab

sab Junior Member

Christopher,
    The cockroaches in Manila are great big things that can fly. No kidding I can smell one walk into my bedroom at night when the lights are out. I leap out of bed and turn the lights on and smash them. I freak my husband out by scratching his foot at night with my nails when he's asleep 'cos that's what they feel like when they run on you.

My daughter was bitten by one on her shin when she was a baby and the infection rose in her leg and she had a boil the size of an orange in her groin that had to be lanced.

When my son was about 8 months old he found a dead one in the kitchen cupboard and ate it. He had black juice dribbling down his chin. He didn't seem fussed at all. I called the local hospital and they said things about a possibility of cholera and typhoid so I prayed about it and nothing happened. Ironically earlier that day he'd refused to eat some pumpkin I cooked and he vomited whenever I gave him banana.

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

La cucaracha

Rainbow,

This is worth a whiz. Some years ago we took on a house tenancy where there were dozens of those little things, so I set off a cocky bomb and then made up some little baits made of condensed milk and borax. Formed little balls of the stuff - they never came back alive, occassionally I found a dead one.

On my block, we had an open plan house and I made baits up and cockroaches were not a problem even though occassionally one would fly in, you know, the ones the size of skateboards. Disgusting things.

Anyway, they didnt survive around our house or seem to breed.

Did you see on the news a few months ago a chinese restaurant in Perth [I think] set off 50 cocky bombs and left the pilot light on on the deep fryer. It blew the roof clean off the complex and ... dare I say it, got rid of their cockroaches.... :D:D:D:D I was in tears of laughter watching that on the news..

Floot

8. Guest

Have tried borax with brown sugar - and I think they just picked the sugar out!

Have decided they were called German cockroaches after the Volkswagon.... just won't die.

Anyway thanks Sue - am heading into town to see if I can find some of your magic DE...sounds like its worth having for the dogs too...

Will give it a whirl...Am just hoping I can say it when I get to the shop!

Dicko... Ditto....Dicky something earth.

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

ahhhhh cockroaches ......Someone once said theyll inherit the earth,supposed to be indestructable apperantly immune to microwaves,high radiation.and slow moving thongs

Tezza

10. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I posted a few weeks ago about a product called "Bugs R Done" that has d-Limonene as the active constituent, which I guess is an extract from orange peel. It comes in a pump bottle, and smells pretty bad, but you shoot a roach with that stuff and they die! Our local population (in our house) went from intolerable back to seen occaisionally from the corners of your eyes...
    We used up that bottle, but we have a big bag of diatoms up in the shed that I think I'll bring down, and mayb e get some borax if I can ever remember when I'm in town...

11. christopher

Hello Rainbow Farmer and Foolt,

If you can read this message, it is called DIATAMACEOUS EARTH! If they can't see this, since I am probably being ignored, could someone tell them I have mentioned DE and boric acid in this thread for their benefit?

Send them my well wishes too!

Thanks!

C

12. Guest

Ok...went to the nursery, spent $116...no DE. She did tell me how to say it though...but had forgotten by the time I got the the plumbers, where she sent me. Spent $96....no DE. Sent me to the Rural Stock Supplies. Spent $75....no DE. Suggested I visit the dam builder, but I was too scared because dam's are so BLOODY EXPENSIVE.

Where am I gauranteed to get this stuff Sue?

13. christopher

Hello Rainbow farmer!

If you can hear me, TRY BORIC ACID! It WORKS MIRACLES!

HELOOOOOO? ANYONE THERE?

BOOOOORIC AAAACCID!

C

EDITED TO ADD: I think I is being ignored..... :?

14. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I heard somewhere Boric Acid is good, now where did I hear that? ;-)

Rebecca was just asking what is good for killing cockies.

Where do you get Boric Acid from??? hardware store?

15. christopher

And that public service announcement was made courtesy of Bazman... Thank you Bazman. Stay tuned for more information coming up about how to beat cockroaches and ignore people. This episode sponsored by Murrays Ignore Buttons, when you absolutely can't stand someone, accept no substitutes......

16. Guest

Hi Richard,
    Just went and searched Bugs R Done and it looks great....(Sorry, I do remember reading your post about this now). Only problem is I can't find an aussie distributor, and it looks like it may only just be getting around the States? (New distributor just arranged in Manhattan apparently)

Also - was told DE is used to seal dams... wondered if it could be used in a tank. Is it actually a poison or is it a coagulant that stuffs up the cockies?...gonna go see what I can find on it...

17. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

https://www.globeaustralia.com.au/
    https://www.duralite.com.au/

18. christopher

RF,

DE is small organisms that have fossilized. It is inert, like sand, but made of many sharp pieces which cut the exoskeleton of the insect that touches it. It is not poisonous, its killing action is like stabbing insects and having them bleed, or dry out, or whatever it is that happens to bugs that get cut...

Someone please forward this to RF as she is ignoring me.

Thank you,

C

19. Guest

Hi Dan,
    Boric acid and boron containing salts is borax and I have tried that. Still have the stuff everywhere and they don't care one iota! Ate the sugar though...

These little buggers are a mutation, I'm convinced. At biggest they get to about 5cm - nothing like the big bush ones that fly around. The big ones die. Actually...don't think I have ever even seen these buggers fly. They just creep around...and party hard at night.

20. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

Rf

when I used to live in Sydney - aka cockroach capital of Australia - we used a combination of eucalyptus oil (they don't like it, and it is a good barrier if you wipe it around your fridge, cupboards etc), non-toxic cockroach traps (the sticky ones that they walk into) and a big fly-swatter! Of course, none of these things actually prevents infestation; they just control numbers a little. You might be interested in this comparative test from Choice Magazine (although, of course, Choice aren't conversant with permaculture principles... :) ) https://www.choice.com.au/viewarticleaso ... 100008&p=1