Cob House Materials in Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Nuga Tree, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Nuga Tree

Nuga Tree New Member

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and would like to introduce myself shortly.

My name is Karina and I'm originally rom Germany. Together with my husband Sam, I've started a farm project last year in Sri Lanka.
    We're planing to build some cob houses on our land and would like to know, if anybody here has experience with building cob houses in tropical countries like Sri Lanka. Our climate is wet/tropical since we're bear by a rainforest.

I have two specific questions:

1) Does anybody know, if it's possible to get Lime in Sri Lanka? Ideally from a eco-friendly source.
    2) Is there an alternative to straw in Sri Lanka? We heard about rice fiber or thought about the locally known Kurakkan Grain. Has anybody
    experience with that?

Thanks,
    Karina

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Karina,
    I would have suggested contacting Arthur C. Clarke, but sadly he's passed. Have you looked into the Worldwide Permaculture Network for people/projects in Sri Lanka? https://permacultureglobal.com/
    It appears to show four other Permaculturists on your island.

Let us know how your cob building projects progress!

3. Nuga Tree

Nuga Tree New Member

Cob Building in Sri Lanka

Hi Bill

Thanks for your answer and your advice. I will contact the other people who have a project there as well.

We keep you informed about our progress :) :y:

Cheers, Karina

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Why cob Karina? What are the traditional building materials used locally and what are the resources available to you? It makes more sense to use what is to hand and suits the climate rather than forcing your own vision on to a place.

5. Nuga Tree

Nuga Tree New Member

@eco4560

We are using mostly the material from our land and have build our first mudhouse in the local way together with our local workers.
    But the house got a lot of cracks that need to be fixed through a period of time until the walls are quite thick. It's fine to do it like that but we would like to do it a bit better and faster through making the right mix of clay and sand. The straw is a good material for binding the two other elements. It's perfectly strong (like concrete) and free of cracks. The locals in our place don't know that technique yet so we want to try it. We have just learned this in a Cob Building Course and want to see how it works practically.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.