Climate Change - Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ecodharmamark, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

In the USA this is not a surprise to me, it is a direct result of the media which is sponsored by people via advertisement, and those sponsors want us to keep screwing things up so we buy buy buy. How is this surprising at all?

Look at this, made by my state government. In fact, I bet if they refined some of the data by radio station shows people listen to you will find where that 50% is being mislead.

I was also going to post a video from Yale University but they seem to have taken it down. Oh well, LET'S GET GARDENING!

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

A nation of believers
    Our results, which are consistent with those of other studies in Australia, Europe and North America, indicate that respondents are very concerned by the nature and implications of climate change.

More than half of our survey sample believe the impacts of climate change are already being felt in Australia, and 90% accept that contemporary climate change is either partly or almost wholly caused by human activities and lifestyles.
    https://theconversation.edu.au/aust...s-about-public-belief-may-be-quite-wrong-1665

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Michael

Yes, true, thanks for that. However, my previous post referred to a Pew survey conducted on a 'white protestant [US-based] Christian' (sample ~ 1,500) cohort.

The data you cite was based on a sample of ~ 3,000 Australians, embedded within 'a very large cross-national survey'.

Methodology lifted from the article:

By embedding a series of established questions in a larger survey (in this instance a very large cross-national survey about energy futures, climate change, and natural disasters), it is possible to determine and characterise the proportion of respondents who consistently indicate that they do not accept that a significant change in world climate patterns is taking place, and that such a change reflects some level of human causality.

In our research, a carefully considered and convergent calculation using a precise definition finds that 1.2%, or 38 individuals out of 3096 respondents, can be confidently categorised as disbelievers or strong sceptics.

A less stringent criterion allowing for less consistent “sceptical” responses but overall suggesting reasonable disbelief and/or scepticism results in a figure of 5.8%, or 180 individuals.

As responsible social scientists and researchers we have compared and contrasted our findings with those of other comparable and credible Australian and international survey findings.

Such comparisons, across a spectrum of similar questions relating to belief, concern, and acceptance of some level of human causality, along with our own careful sampling and survey design, allow us to be very confident of our research findings.

We’re also very sceptical of claims and interpretations of reported survey findings suggesting that a substantial proportion of Australian respondents do not accept that current climate change is very credible, a matter of considerable concern, and caused in part by human activities and lifestyles.

As research scientists we have provided full information in our report of our methodology, our survey questions, and our full aggregate findings. We feel there is no better way to clear the air about public response to climate change.

I'm my previous post, I pondered as to what the figures might look like from a similar cohort of ~ 1,500 Australian 'white protestant Christians'. If anyone has any data from some such study, I'd love to see it.

What I do know is that in 2006, practically all of Australia's 'faith-based organisations' were united in their 'belief' (I prefer the term 'acceptance', as it minimises 'religious' connotations) of evidence supporting human-induced climate change, and equally so in humanity's need to do something about it. The following document details their commitment, and gives me some hope by reading it that we (Australians) are, on the whole, not easily going to be sucked down the path of anti-science, fundamentalist, human-induced climate change denialism:

The Climate Institute (2006) Common Belief: Australia's Faith Communities on Climate Change

We live in hope...

Cheerio, Markos

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Scary isn't it Markos? I have the solution to help those people, but they don't like the solution. I suggest turning off the shows they normally watch and listen to a book ((for truck drivers)) or some music. Stop watching commericals and tv in general.

It's amazing how few people wish to do that now.

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Its really hard to wean yourself off TV.
    So far I seem o have managed but I still have the urge to see whats going on.
    Maybe its the subliminal messaging creating tv addicts out of us.

6. springtide

springtide Junior Member

You can also go the wrong way and get a set top box with a hdd, the few shows i watch each week i can save for a free moment and fast forward all the adds.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

[​IMG]Dramatic and unprecedented plumes of methane – a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide – have been seen bubbling to the surface of the Arctic Ocean by scientists undertaking an extensive survey of the region.

The scale and volume of the methane release has astonished the head of the Russian research team who has been surveying the seabed of the East Siberian Arctic Shelf off northern Russia for nearly 20 years.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent, Igor Semiletov, of the Far Eastern branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, said that he has never before witnessed the scale and force of the methane being released from beneath the Arctic seabed.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...e-releases-deadly-greenhouse-gas-6276134.html

[​IMG]
    s estimate that eight million tonnes in annual methane emissions are being released from the shallow East Siberian Arctic Shelf, which is equivalent to all the methane released from the world’s oceans, covering 71 percent of the planet.

On a global scale of methane emissions from the land-based sources – animals, rice paddies, rotting vegetation – the newly measured emissions from the Siberian seabed are less than two percent.

“That’s still very significant,” Natalia Shakhova, a researcher at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks, told IPS. “Before, it was assumed that this region had zero emissions.”https://stephenleahy.net/2010/04/18...al-warming-gas-reaching-feared-tipping-point/
    [​IMG]
    “The changes we are (currently) seeing are not entirely unexpected, they are just happening far sooner,” said Mark Serreze, senior research scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Centre in the U.S. state of Colorado and co-author of Arctic Climate Feedbacks report.

If the methane hydrates start to melt or large areas of permafrost “that will be very bad news for humanity”, Serreze told IPS in September.

“The world is a very small place and we have not been good stewards. Climate change is symptom of this poor stewardship,” he said.

“The way we’re going right now, I’m not optimistic that we will avoid some kind of tipping point.”https://stephenleahy.net/2010/04/18...al-warming-gas-reaching-feared-tipping-point/

[video]https://cc.rsoe.hu/?pageid=vidb_index&vid=18&start=0[/video]

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I just can't help to believe that our varied governments will not tell us when we passed that tipping point. It's sad, we the people have had the technology for clean fuel sources for over 100 years, and because of idiotic politics & money our fore-parents walked away from it all.

9. princemyheart

princemyheart Junior Member

10. princemyheart

But of course Government can't know when a tipping point has been reached. As a dynamic system, we can only work backwards to work out probably 'tipping points'. No fuel sources are clean. Construction, transport, infrastructure all add to the environmental footprint.

We are off-grid solar powered. We use rainwater only and recycle most things, but when I sit down and think about the materials including battery bank and plastics in the rainwater tanks, I realize that there is no such thing as 'clean'. I guess we all need to do our little bit to reduce our impact...

11. princemyheart

TV is a window into world... I'm not sure that we shoudn't look through it. I never watch in daylight though. That seems just wrong.

12. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It may well be a window of sorts, but it's important to remember that is made of a glass that is very heavily filtered! Not much real light passes through it. Also the landscape that is visible through it is very 'noisy' and polluted so it can be difficult to find a natural grove or a pristine piece of nature with in it.

I personally think it is better to go out and experience the world for yourself, rather than staring at it through some dirty old window. Go touch it, feel it, smell it, listen to it, taste it and then you might just find that the world is a window into the nature of all things...

I'm just sayin'.

13. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

14. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

15. annette

annette Junior Member

he he love it!

16. princemyheart

filtered, noisy, polluted........... as is the world. Experience... smell, listen, taste the nature of things. Yes very important, but all you get to see is your own back yard. The 24hr news cycle, world events all come by the TV or it's cousin the internet soon to be part of the TV....

It used to take 24hours for my parents to hear what had happened on the other side of the world, whereas nowadays we know in minutes if not instantly.

Having said all that... as I said, I don't watch in the daytime cos I'm experiencing, smelling, listening and tasting for myself... til it gets dark.

17. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Sad but true. On 9/11/01, while in a video game, there was more real time news going on between players then there was on CNN. The Bin Laden family was being arrested, sorry, "taken for safety" and put onto planes heading out of the country mere hours after the 2nd plane hit, found out in game 4 hours before remotely hearing about it on the news.

When tragedy, of any kind strikes, you hear about it in games, chat rooms, forums etc with in seconds or less now.

I cannot decide yet if it is a good or bad thing, because I remember a story from TV about a war that started with spotty quick intel, I think the series was called, "Babylon 5"

Amazing how much it is intertwined into our lives... our stories... ..etc.