Climate Change, Drought, and How California is screwed

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am here watching the Weather Channel with Al Roker this morning and the current Farm Bill, Climate Change, and a farmers conference. Normally I would ignore the rantings of things that dont have to do with weather on this channel, however one thing struck me.

CA, which is still in a drought, will loose 500,000 acres this year of food growing land due to climate change. CA is where MOST food is grown in America.

This will be a hard year for a lot of people.

Food prices are going to soar.

2. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Kraft uses gmo bro.

Also, did any American catch the Simpsons last night and its GMO warning? The whole episode was Anti GMO and ended with Sideshow Bob as Head Scientists of Sonmanto or some other pun giving himself gills and super powers by messing with his own genes.

Was funny & sad at the same time.

4. Rick Larson

Yep, hungry people won't care though. I don't watch the Simpsons. Don't watch very much TV at all anymore. Your description is enough!

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

on the same weekend our pm and ag minister visited droucght ravaged NSW
    Barak oBummer made a statement on the CA droudht !
    I Was impressed

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Thankfully, the gulf coast/mississippi river flood plain areas are highly agricultural. Unfortunately, you're right in that most of the food in the US comes from California, so I'll still be affected(thinking on the price of milk over the past couple of years). Time to step up the gardening in the back yard.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I like the idea of a Mac and Cheese index of food affordability. Or the 2 minute noodle scale. It's lowest common denominator stuff isn't it. Who cares about salmon being contaminated as it's too expensive to buy, expect perhaps in a tin. But Mac and cheese deficiency will be like turning off the reality show feed. People would notice….

8. Rick Larson

Exactly.

9. V8Vega

V8Vega Junior Member

I like to add a can of Tuna to my Mac & Cheese. :(

10. LJH

LJH Junior Member

This reminds me that I heard somewhere that Warren Brush is now the owner of an avocado orchard near Quail Springs. I wonder if he's had time to perm-ise it for survival?

I agree, California's farmers and ranchers are looking at some bleak times ahead. We'll have to pay more,a crap-ton more, for the growies we can't produce ourselves, but I fear many of them will be going belly-up. Trickle-down on that one will be grim indeed.

11. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I actually ate a packet of Kraft Macaroni Cheese because I was suffering from the tooth extraction, didn't want to cook and figured I could swallow without much chewing lol. It had the most acrid bitter after taste - disgusting. I thought that might have had something to do with the dental work and the medication packing. But last night I was slacking off....the tooth is healing....no more medicated packing....same result. Utterly repulsive. The after taste is pure chemicals. If people can't afford this stuff in the near future it will be doing everyone a favour. What was I thinking.

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Our guvment in times of drought just hands out sit down money whereas in the candoo USA they focus on solutions!

13. V8Vega

V8Vega Junior Member

You give our Government much more credit than I do. I would argue they cause 80% of our problems.

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

The Mississippi river had an oil leak 2 weeks ago and was shut down for days. :(

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Andrew, my government is bought and paid for by corporations. I honestly believe I no longer have a voice in my federal government.

USDA, FDA, etc... all ignorant agencies directed by corporate entities.

Look at Permaculture in my state alone. I know Geoff & Bill have taught classes in a University. I know Bill M. hates it going to universities. Well, here in Oregon, the university in charge of "Ag Extensions" has Permaculture, but it is a class at the University, the permaculture information IS NOT getting to the farmers that need it. My Ag Extension in my county has NO information on Permaculture, and has not had any ever. They have no idea what I am talking about when I walk in, they want to know if I am here to help 4H instead.

16. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    if you put enough ketchup on it you don't notice. : ) some of the generic brands taste more like salted cardboard with bright orange coloring added.

more seriously, i've known kids who've practically grown up on that and sliced hot dogs and not much else, they wouldn't even eat the crust of bread. as for ramen noodles, i admit i ate my share of those, with a can of tuna, some hot sauce and some frozen peas/mixed veggies stirred in at the last made for ok fare.

funny, Ma asked me the other day what ramen noodles were made out of, she thought it was rice. no, it's wheat, salt and grease, pretty much like most other things these days. a few ingredients smothered in salt and other additives. most of them no relation to actual natural foods or minerals. any vitamins come via the enriched flour. i.e. not much by the time it all gets processed. then there's the wrappers...

i used to like eating them raw as a crunchy snack.

then i finally started cooking real food again and i've not had too many since. like after years and years of eating tuna from a can, then discovering sashimi, i couldn't really appreciate tuna from a can after that nearly as much, now if i do canned fish it is likely sardines, at least they are closer to the bottom of the food chain and actually still look like a fish, and aren't all ground up and salted to oblivion. still, i'm trying to not eat imported or canned foods unless we've done them here (as much as possible). probably the biggest exception we make is chocolate.

back to mac-n-cheese, it is so easy to make and much better to just cook up your own mac (and avoid the high price of that) and get a big can of cheese sauce or even make your own cheese sauce. i don't think the main brand Kraft Mac-n-Cheese is all that inexpensive any longer. so might as well do it up right, plus you can add other things like cooked mushrooms, onions, garlic, etc. and fill it out with more veggies that ways.

17. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

They have cheese sauce in a can where you are?! Is it that horrible orange that American's seem to think is the right colour for cheese?

When I was a kid the woman who looked after us while mum was working used to make the BEST Mac and cheese - with a proper butter and flour base and heaps of melted cheese. She added chopped fried onion and bacon to it. I used to love it. She also made the best tripe, the best lamb's fry and the best pavlova in the world too. Spoiled rotten we were!

18. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

My SO makes the best real cheese sauce from a roux like eco mentions. I can do it too but I got lazy (I was milking the tooth suffering). Never heard of cheese sauce in a can! I remember the first and only time I was in the US I ordered something from room service with cheese and nearly freaked at the colour of it. lol. That and the toilet bowl water level. Hotel maintenance thought I was an idiot. ha ha