Citronella Grass seeds

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Michaelangelica, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

My Grass is seeding now;
    anyone want a seed frond?
    m

2. heartofhush

heartofhush Junior Member

Hi
    I am not sure if i am allowed to ask if i can get some seeds from you as i have just joined, i am willing to pay for them and to post them please.Or i shall wait until i am allowed.
    Can you please let me know.
    Thank you
    Lu

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Lu

Welcome to the forum. I would be very surprised if Michaelangelica would hold out on you because you are new - we love newbies, and when we give something away, its because we want stuff to be used by the rest of humanity. Newness isn't really a criteria.

You live close to Penny Pyett, who was the President of Permaculture Northern Sydney for many years, and was one of my PDC teachers. Have you done any of her courses?

Paula.

4. heartofhush

Hello Permup
    Thank you so very much for the welcome,and for replying to me, I do appreciate it.

I am sorry I dont know the lady you have mentioned Penny Pyett and I have not done any courses with her.

I do my learning and asking from online.

I am unable to get out and about on my own myself.

I do love my gardening though and while i can still sort of do it, I am going to keep going.

I have seen images of the above plants and read they grow to approx 1.8 to 2 metres tall.

I would like to grow some for the plant itself but also so to keep a nasty neighbour from eye sight of what i do.

But I do hope to learn things here and i have seeds to give away as well, not sure if they be any good though.

Take Care
    Lu

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Michael

Just wondering, have you ever grown it from seed? I have many different types of clumping grasses and I have never seen my Citronella Grass here grow from seed? Same as my Vetiver grasses. I just cut out side shoots with roots when I want more plants.

I grow a lot of "dietes bicolour" in areas with zero watering from me, this seeds well away from the plant but is not as large or lush as Citronella grass. I have about 500 in tubs which have just germinated. I always add 10 or so seeds per tube too so you don't just get one shoot. I have also successfully grown dietes bicolour using seed balls too.

6. Michaelangelica

I forget how I got it going probably from a clump

7. Michaelangelica

Lu
    just PM me your address
    m

8. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

I'd like some too thanks Michealangelica.
    PM sent

9. heartofhush

Hi Bazman
    Can i ask you exactly how you make your seed balls please.
    Could you use clumping clay clean cat litter and push 1 seed in each ball.
    I have also read that people use flour.
    I have to save my pennies right now after a big vet bill of 1200-00.
    I was trying to think of items i may already have here.
    Thank you in advance
    Take care
    Lu

10. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

Seeds will most likely not be viable,sterile as they are usually hybridized cultivars.I have repeatedly tried with many types of tropical grasses to no avail...someone help me ....if I am wrong.Vetieva is definately sterile.

11. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

over the last 25 yrs I've been growing it, I've had lemongrass (the real one- Cymbopogon citratus) flower once and no seed was set...I was watching it closely for seeds.
    Lately ( the last 5 yrs or so) the nursery trade has been selling 'lemongrass' that has a purpley -reddish stem.
    I believe it to be C.flexuosus -East Indian Lemongrass.
    It sets plenty of viable seed.
    I think the reason it's sold through nurseries is that it's easier (or rather cheaper from a labour cost pov) to drop some seed into a pot than to grow from divisions.
    C.flexuosus has a different scent to C.citratus, more geraniol (think of the old 'Fruit Tingles' lollies, or rose geranium) type scent and not really the same when used in cooking.
    I think C.nardus (Citronella grass ) is grown from seed or division
    C.martinii (Palmarosa or Rosha grass) also has a geraniol scent and grows prolifically from seeds.

Yes, Vetiver grass (V.zizanoides) is sterile for sure.

12. Mr Urban Orchard

Mr Urban Orchard New Member

i would seriously love some real citronella grass root or seed or cutting . please help ... happy to cover your costs mate ... i'm at copacabana nsw .... central coast

email me i ya want

13. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

I will send you some,just pm with address.
    Best Wishes Fernando

14. Michaelangelica

Will send the ones I promised this week sorry

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Speedy Can you help me with a plant ID? Tulipwood gave me a grass that smells sort of but not quite like lemon grass. It grows to about 6 ft, very dense, has nodes on the stems, doesn't form the bulb like base that lemon grass does, with green strappy leaves. I thought it was citronella but the pictures I can find of citronella don't look like this grass. I haven't seen it with flowers on so I can't tell you what they look like.

Any idea what it might be?

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Baz - are you sure that you have citronella. I remember when I cam over to your place to check out your great garden and get some Citronella but decided when I saw your plant that I already had heaps of it here and took home some West Indian Lemongrass instead. At the time and after seeing your plants, I'd decided that what I thought was lemongrass was in fact Citronella, however now know that my plants which looked just like what you identified as Citronella are East Indian Lemongrass. Does that make sense :lol:. By the way the couple of pieces of west indian lemongrass I got from you have since been transformed into a 25 to 30 meter lemongrass border for my veggie garden area. Not very impressive in the cold months - but will be lloking good again come spring :)

17. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

ok eco4560,
    if you post some pics and I'll do my best to id it.

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'll have to wait for Tulipwood to get back from her trip away and get a photo of an intact clump. That'll give you the best chance!

19. amelddin

amelddin New Member

any citronella seed left?

Just wondering if you had any seed left of Citronella grass? If so let me know and I will get some details to you, thanks for that,
    Anthony

20. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I got what I call Citronella grass from Garden Len years ago, so have to go on what he told me, plus when you rip the leafs you can smell a citronella smell and not so much a lemon grass smell. The grass gets to about 2m high where my lemon grass would be lucky to break 1m. Once again I have never seen it grow from seed, better off growing from sub-divided plants.