Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paradisi, Sep 5, 2007.

1. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Is anyone growing their own cinnamon?

Where are you and how well does it grow?

Does anyone know of an internet/mailorder source for Cinnamon or Cinnamon seeds??

cheers

2. caldera

caldera Junior Member

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

We are growing it. We don't know anything about it but I did read that it dosen't like to be disturbed once planted. This is a problem because we planted it out in the open and now realise it dosen't like sunlight so we have set up stakes with shadecloth over it.
    It has been in the ground about two years and I don't think it has grown one bit.
    At least it's not dead.
    I would really like to know more too.

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

thanks caldera - I've got some seeds coming so we might be in competition LOL

They should cope OK here - I've got Salacca edulis coping quite well - though they are only small at the moment.

5. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

Cinnamon is one of the things I want to try when we eventually make the big move. I got this info from Leonie Norrington's Tropical Food Gardens:
    Cinnamon needs to be watered during the dry season. It'll grow into a medium sized hardy tree in a forest (shade) situation.
    To harvest cinnamon often, grow in the sun and they will be more of a shrub than a tree. You will have to pile on the mulch during the dry and provide shadecloth cover until well established. Water and fertilise well.
    A little bit of trivia for you, did you know being unable to identify the smell of either cinnamon or lemon could be the first sign of Alzheimer's?

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

oh, it looks like I have been doing the right thing for the cinnamon afterall. I noticed today it had some new shoots on it, so yeah, it seems to be somewhat happy.
    I have never seen another one for sale other than spotting the one we have in the back of the nursery.