cider / cider vingar making

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Diggman, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hi, I actually intended to ask this on the article but the new site has destroyed half of the article on cider / vinegar and there is no longer full info or a comments section :nod:

I have about 5 separate gallon bottles of cider in different stages of brewing, I hope to get 2 gallons of vinegar and 3 of cider. Problem is, I may go overseas whilst the vinegar is in the middle of brewing.
    Basically, it seems like 20 days after becoming cider, I will be leaving for 4 weeks and no one can come over to filter it and remove the mother etc. That makes 6 weeks after the first stage of becoming vinegar that it will be sitting stagnant in my pantry.

Will it just be strong vinegar and no issues or will it have spoiled with all the sediment / mother etc?

An option I can take but would like to avoid due to transport issues is I can transfer it into proper demijohn bottles and take it to a friend who might volunteer to finish the procedure.

Thanks in advance :)

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i don't think vinegar will spoil, but it may pick up more off flavors from the sediments than it would otherwise. rack that off right before you go...

you could turn the brewing cider into vinegar too right? i'd do that ASAP so it as as far along as it can be before you rack it off.

3. Henry J

Henry J New Member

Climate:
    Cool temperate
    Sure you have worked this out by now as its been a while since your post, but vinegar doesnt spoil its too acidic and there should be no sugars left for spoilage bacteria to take hold. You can store it pretty much indefinately, You will propabably have to leave it longer than you think exposed to air unless you are aerating using an airstone or added alot of mother especially in the cooler conditions. We once had an IBC (1000l) of cider exposed to air for the best part of a year, had it tested and it still had a small percentage amount of alcohol in it despite it tasting very vinegary. The surface area exposed to the area was proabably the reason why it was taking so long.