chooks, the seaside and wandering jew... - chooks

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by vic, Jul 31, 2003.

1. vic

vic New Member

I'v kept chooks several times in my life in the countryside, but now want to keep them (and start a permaculture garden) on sand near the sea. I have a bad "wandering jew" weed problem over the back yard and wondered if chooks would eat it, or if it would be poison to them..anyone have any idea. Also, is living/scratching on sand (and no doubt swallowing a heap of it) a problem for chooks?

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Vic,

I have meant to reply before now but things have been really hectic for me lately.

With the wandering jew weed.... i have seen my adult chooks and young chooks (4mths) get stuck into the wandering jew and they still seem quite happy!.... so i guess its fairly safe... chooks in general will like eating weeds.

Not sure on the sand.... chooks do eat shell grit though and i guess if its not good for them they will throw it up or just poop it out.... i have watched my chooks throw up things that didnt agree with them.

Hope this helps.

Dave