Chooks not laying

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Nee, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Nee

Nee Junior Member

My 4 chooks had been laying quite consistently (well, 3 of them, anyway!) and now they seem to have completly stopped! I havn't had an egg in over a month! They are about 40 weeks old, give or take a couple of weeks. Anyway, I had to resprt to buying eggs :!: so any ideas on the cause/ solution would be great!

2. SilkieMavis

SilkieMavis Junior Member

Re: Chooks not laying

They could be moulting. It is that time of year.

3. Nee

Nee Junior Member

Thanks for that. Ther have been a lot of feathers floating around lately! How long does moulting usually take? Do you know what is the purpose of the moult is?

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

a moult will last 6-10 weeks, maybe longer depending on breed, climate, condition of birds etc

the moult replaces old feathers - usually going from summer plumage to winter plumage - the opposite doesn't seem to affect the birds as much

if this is their first moult you've done pretty well

It's a down-side to having chooks, but essential for their life

commercial breeders kill their layers at the first moult and turn them into frozen broilers or just fertiliser, so feed them well and they'll return the pleasure in the eggs they provide (and the fun for the family and visitors)

5. Nee

Nee Junior Member

Great! Thanks for the info. We are new to the worl of keeping chooks so there is lots of learning on the go. Cheers.

6. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Good nutrition is important to them as they go through their moult, so don't stress them by allowing food or water to run short. I've read that some extra protein is good for them at this time, so if you've got a goodly number of earthworms or other insects, you might dig up a spadeful of soil and flip it over, letting the chooks work through it to find some "fresh meat".

Sue