Chooks beaks

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by dj58, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dj58

dj58 New Member

Hi,

I have 6 Isa Brown chickens who are approx 2.5 years old. They have always been healthy. Two afternoons ago I noticed one was lethargic and laying around. I thought it may have been egg bound. A friend and I checked it and there doesn't seem to be an egg stuck.

Today I noticed the bottom beak is longer than the top beak. I have separated her from the others and given her wet oats and also sardines. She had a bit of a peck at them. She still seems to be just sitting around.

How would her beak suddenly be shorter? It doesn't appear to have any broken off but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions please.

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Are you sure it has got shorter?
    If these are ex-battery hens, their beaks may have been trimmed before you got them.
    I'll have to go and check my girls in the morning, but I think their bottom beaks Are shorter than the top one.
    Give her access to fresh water, just incase its lack of water.

3. dj58

dj58 New Member

It is definitely shorter than the bottom beak. It may have been shorter before but I doubt it. It is definitely not an ex-battery hen, I purchased them at 10 weeks old. She is mainly just sitting and fluffed up. Her bottom pointing towards the ground. They have all been very healthy the whole time I've had them.

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    If she's all fluffed up and not moving about, then she is not well.
    I cant see how her beak would be the problem though, I just checked our hens and all have bottom beaks that are shorter than the top one.
    Is her bum dirty with dags?If it is then she is definitely sick and scouring-she could have worms too, its hard to say.
    I give my girls rescue remedy or 5 flower when they are not looking perky or put cider vinegar in their water bowl.
    If she isnt eating see if giving her some cat biscuits will get her to eat.For some reason they usually go nuts over these.
    You might need to isolate her from the others just incase she has an infection.
    If she is eating and you have garlic and aloe vera you could try chopping some up and putting it in her feed.

5. dj58

dj58 New Member

Hi,

Its her bottom beak, it is a lot longer than the top. I think the top beak is usually longer than the botom beak.

Yes she is fluffed up and sitting about. I saw her eating a little wet layer pellets this morning. She was also picking at lettuce yesterday. I have separated her from the others. I only wormed them (in their water) a couple of weeks ago but then you don't know if they had any of it.

I will try worming her again and put apple cider vinegar in her water. Her bum was a little bit messy.

Thanks for your help

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I was having problems trying to figure out how and why her beak suddenly got shorter- thats really odd.
    I did wonder if it was possible for her to have been attacked by something or even had fight with another chook, but if she continues to eat and drink, she should be okay and her beak should grow to its proper size again.
    This is giving me a brainstrain, I keep looking around our yard to see what there is here that could possibly cause this.

7. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

I think it's possible she can't eat properly with her beak the way it is. Is she very thin? I've had the opposite problem the odd time - the top beak growing too long and preventing proper eating. It was easily rectified with a little very careful clipping of the top beak (I used one of these special little "scissors" normally used for dog's toenails). The beak grows and wears off naturally, just like fingernails. Perhaps she broke off part of the top bit, making the bottom one too long for proper eating?

8. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Junior Member