Chook question

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by living simple, Jun 29, 2007.

1. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Hi all,

Just would like to know what went wrong with one of my girls. I noticed that she wasn't pecking around the orchard with her normal enthusiasm the other day and then yesterday when i look around for her she was sitting on the grass all 'puffed up'. She looked like a ball of feathers and her eyes were closed. When i approached and picked her up she hardly moved. I placed her near the water and feed in the chook shed with a heavy heart, and alas last night she died.

Now, what would be your suggestions on why she died??? The weather has been cold here in Tassie, but colder a few weeks ago - could it be the weather change (it's their first winter)?! Any other ideas would be great!

Thanks guys,

Cheers
    Lyn

2. SilkieMavis

SilkieMavis Junior Member

Sounds to me like some sort of disease... it is actually how one of mine behaved when she was very sick with coccidiosis. Do you worm them? Have you noticed anything unusual about their droppings?

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Living Simple,

A couple of things. Firstly, Mavis is sounds right on the coccidiosis thing.

Secondly, by the time a chook [or any bird] is displaying signs the bird is probably nearing death. Birds are genetically designed not to look outwardly ill as this makes them a target for predators. The last thing a chook wants to do is look sick.

Back to the coccidiosis. It is a primary cause of illness in birds and is very much associated with over-crowding and wet areas. Coccidiosis are a microscopic, single cell parasite and endemic to chooks. Dry, warm and draught free really helps.

Coccidia are known across the animal world but we tend only to see it in birds.

There are any number of cures and any number of folk who 'cure' this affliction with garlic. I am not a naysayer but I whole heartedly believe that anyone who is using garlic [per se] is trying pretty hard to assist their animals and will reap the rewards.

Also, if you have an animal die and you do not know why. In the first instance, freeze the animal and put it in a garbage bag and ask the vet what killed the particular animal. I have done this a few times with racing pigeons and havent actually been asked to pay.

For over 15 years I tried to develop a bantam breed or specification and one of the things I had to, cull for, was coccidiosis susceptibility. I wanted a bullet proof breed.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Wow Funny how we can call it cocideosis so easily..

Is this the only chook problem?

Theres probly a dozen reasons why this poor chook died and none of them coccidy....
    old age,Spider bite,Snake bite, any of the ilnesses that chooks might catch,
    Cold weather... Get over it it happens..

NOW if you get two Three or more then its something serious.

It could be serious or not age should be taken into consideration,remembering chooks may only live to 10 at even generous odds and loving owners...

Its like humans..They can die just like that at any age,any time

Tezza

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I agree. You can't just say it's this or that over the internet. I am finding the chooks only live 3-4 years and they have a free range, organic lifestyle. Maybe it's the toxic city air doing them in faster. Have one at the moment displaying the usual signs of demise over the next month. I am assuming it's that 'old' age thing again as they get it all, garlic etc. We took one to the vet the speed the process but it took 15mins of injections for her to finally pass. the vet said it was like that for chooks. It's a hard time and I dread it each time but vet or no vet it is always hard and you just never know what the problem was.