Chook laying on roost...

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by emilyjane, May 16, 2012.

1. emilyjane

emilyjane Junior Member

One of our chooks is consistently laying on the roost. She must do it early because the egg is cold by 6.30-7am when I go to let them out. We have 4 chooks and as many nesting boxes, and all the other chooks lay after 7am so it's not as if she's got nowhere else to do it... Any suggestions on how to encourage her to lay somewhere more sensible?

2. annette

annette Junior Member

You need a chook whisperer! haha. Chooks are funny creatures. You could put her on the nest with the egg and get her used to it and tell her to lay in there. Mine sit on there occasionally and then they won't. They seem to go through phases at times. Mine were eating their eggs and then stopped. I figured it might have had somehthing to do with the diet but they just stopped.

My daughter found a rooster running around suburbia and dropped it off to me. He started nipping at me. After 2 days of saying NO NO NO and giving him a slight slap with a fly swapper he stopped.

You just have to try and train her somehow or celebrate that you have a bit of an individual thinker in your henhouse!

3. emilyjane

emilyjane Junior Member

thanks, Annette. haha yeah, I think at this stage I may just have to accept that I have a bit of a free thinker in the henhouse.