Chook Flu Panic

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by frosty, Oct 27, 2005.

1. frosty

frosty Junior Member

this is abit off topic for this board but very interesting and since most of us have chooks ...........

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Gulp.
    I think ill stay home from now on.Glad i dont work in a factory or an office

Tezza

3. HoneydaleFarm

HoneydaleFarm Junior Member

4. murray

murray Junior Member

i'm stocking up on ammo and whiskey and heading inland.

5. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

That is a great piece of information Frosty - perhaps that is why Glenn and I never (or very rarely) get colds that stick around - my answer to a cold is to go to bed with an extra blanket and drink lots of warm honey and lemon or pepper and ginger drinks!

Thanks,
    Fran.

6. Jet

Jet Junior Member

I don't think it's off topic at all Frosty. If Bird Flu does manage to turn into a pandemic most of us on here have the knowledge and resources to be able to go into "lock down mode".

I've said before in posts my family think I'm crazy but I was informed by my mother the other day if we have a pandemic she's moving from her home on the coast to here because she could live off my property indefinietly. We may not have egg's for a while though :cry:
    And I have to tell you It's a good feeling to know If the world collapses tomorrow I wont have to set foot off my property.
    And of course all of you who don't have the reasourses can come live with me too cause I know you have the knowledge.
    :D :D :D :D

7. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I was quite reassured to read the first paragraph that it is really nothing new

and the advice is good - fran we only rarely get flu and like you if we do it doesnt last long ....... we never take meds and never get vacinated

to me the most terrifying thing is that the govt may try and make vaccination compulsory

and the thing that really pisses me off is that they will probably make private people destroy their birds and let the commercial ones alone :evil:

I have a friend ( who even I admit is a bit crazy :lol: ) who lives alone with a pet chook that lives in the house ........ I can imagine her like Murray stocking up on ammo and heading inland to hide with her beloved chook :lol:

frosty

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Thanks Frosty, I found that a really interesting read, will have to make an Indian sweat lodge in the backyard. :D

After talking to a lady a few years back who used to work as a sales rep for a medical company I would not trust them as far as you could throw them.

9. frosty

frosty Junior Member

strange you should say that bazman :roll: yesterday we bought a second hand sauna ( is just a cheap portable one ) and I when I read this this morning I said to phil it will help if we do get bird flu :lol:

sauna is supposed to be good for everything ....... I got it to try and detox my chemical load

frosty

10. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

My advice is to not panic or stress

Stress causes the immune system to be week allowing illness into our bodies.Self defeating i think... No government is going to imunise my body AT ALL They can go a get Fffffffffffd id rather die....im no guini pig even less for a government.....I think and hope that its all load of crap....

In nature after a build of pests eg "aphids" ... well goin by nture something will come along and eat the aphids .....
    Because if nothing came along to eat the aphids.we woulda died out a million years ago suffering aphid over popultion,imagine eating your cauliflowers if aphids just kept breeding away.....Nature has its way,and allways ill.....Maybe a flu virus will remove us aphids. maybe the earth will slip on its axis,maybe a meteor will do it,maybe some W will press the nuke button...who knows.

Im glad im better suited for survival....

If it does happen there wont be high mortages or howard on tv,
    no high house prices,no high interest rtes high unemployment,no petrol price increases,...

This stuff could be very scarey,In old times diseases took months years even to circulate the globe.....Thse days its 24 hours from one end to other end of the globe. no one slowing inter country moving ..why cause they dont wanna lose money. Here in Perth the other day Perth hospitals were refusing no elective surgery because of increased patient admittance.......apparently 13 persons more then normal wnt to hospital...%^^&&*(**^ How the heck would they/anybody handle 130 or worse 1300..gee by time you got to a hospital youd be better off staying home.any healthy person takng you to hospital ould catch it from all the others dying in the car parks...

But you want more......

Well be saved our loving caring Pollies will have taken the jab so theyll still look after us....Next patient please to se Dr honest johnny
    or nurse Bronwyn....omg yuk.............

I hope thats cheared everyone up now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tezza

Ill be right jack....

11. psychochook

psychochook Junior Member

Its amazing how easily we are influenced by the pill makers

Thanks for posting this message Frosty,

I am rather embarrased to say that I had no idea what fevers were for. I was one of the masses who had been convinced that a fever was a very bad thing and anything needs to be done to reduce it.

Now I know better......... :hello1:

BTW, I don't know if you noticed but you and I had the same saying after our signatures. I have had to change mine..... To have the same saying is like finding that you have the same costume as someone else at a fancy dress party.... :lol:

12. teela

teela Junior Member

bird flu

yeah I'm suprised no ones bought this subject up b4....what with all the footage on TV, they say don't panic, so why rave on about it every news time? I tell ya I'm sick of it! If they don't have anything posative to report then they should'nt say anything!
    Should the average backyard chook keeper with 10 or 15 (or in my case 30 chooks) be worried? My chooks freerange and co-ecsist (I'm sure I spelt that wrong) with the wild birds and Ibis. They are such a happy bunch and I'm gettin them a new boyfriend on the weekend....a Plymouth Rock rooster! I'd hate anything to happen to my chookies.

13. HoneydaleFarm

HoneydaleFarm Junior Member

Think I will duck for cover after all the "government" talk ... I must be evil working in a state governemnt department :oops: ..and I never knew!!!

14. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Introducing from the Blue corner a man who neds no introduction at all .
    Potentially the next and last Billionare this planet produces

Da Dah...........Joel and his amazing Technicolour fish tanks..

Quick before bird flu crosses to the Fish as well.... :lol: :lol:

Tezza

Good marketing stratagy joel ..mmmmm

Dont worry Honey dale at least you admit to it..better then those yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

15. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi, heard the other day birds that get this virus get sick quite quickly and die, it would quite hard for a sick bird to fly the distances across open ocean to bring it here, moving pet birds around on planes now thats a good way to move the virus around.

I was thinking about this the other day, large scale chook farms all other the world feed antibiotics and other crap as a preventative for diseases etc. but over time this builds up chook resistance to viruses, could this be part of the problem?

16. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

More then likley baz. Surley it dont help them, and us having all these antibiotics ..... 7years ago i got an ear infection swimming in a slow moving river. well floted really. well after stuffing around and anti biots from the doc i moved down here,now i dunno why but i was on and off
    not well, for about 3 years all up,never knew what was,or cause,but stopped after i discontinued antis..I had teath problems as well,every cough,cold,flu i got it,i got it as it hit our areas and work place,then got it again as it left our area.Since teath and ear probs stopped 4 yrs ago i only get minor colds etc actually i feel better anyways.. mmm

Is it in my mind ? Dunno.

Funny how ya never hear any thing helpfull to prevent this flu,apart from dying before it gets here :lol: :lol: 8) .....

One and only one that i seen, was saying if you dont want flu, get fit, be healthy,only the ill or those with damaged immune systems will get it,

NO wonder they Talk PANDEMIC!!! At least the roads wont be as busy on the freeways, any survivers wont be able to afford petol either lolololol 8). Just think all those big fancy houses by the rivers with ll the veiws
    we can just go chose anyone we like.just have to step over all the skeletons,Happy days for the canines of the world......

I found the silver lining in this dark black cloud... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Worse thing about it Ill be losing a lot of my family n freinds too.might get a bit lonly after a while.....Pity therell be no net to chat with you lot.

Anyone give smoke signal lessons?

Tezza

17. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I think it will happen but like evenrything the news papers and the TV stations will turn it into something much bigger than it really is, it's not like they would be getting kick backs from all those billion dollar medical companies or anything like that...... :roll:

Stay heathly, eat well and you like most people will be fine.

I doubt it will have any effect on the economy, apart from those who have shares in those medical companies :shock:

18. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

The original post seemed like good advice to me, as it did appear to make some sense (I'm not used to that!).

But, unless the current Avian Virus mutates into something less harmful, that info isn't going to do our chookies much good. If people importing birds don't bring it in (ha!), the great wandering Albatross could do it, couldn't it? I don't have television, nor newspaper, and I usually have better stuff to look up online, so most of what I've gotten is from a few minutes of the panic-mongering news broadcasts in the lunch room at work. They don't give much actual information (what a surprise!). How long is the incubation for birds after exposure?

I'm not as worried about myself as I am for my four girls (Buff Orps). Plus, I was planning on getting a few more chicks next spring. I remember when Newcastle Disease hit the commercial flocks, and they were slaughtering birds by the tens of thousands.

So, let me run this by you folks, who seem to have a much better grip on reality than the newsmongers.

I have some circles of white Dutch clover that I planted this summer. If I make one of Linda Woodrow's chook domes, set it over one of the clover patches at the first word that the specific virus is in the U.S., and cover it with a tarp except for the bottom metre or so (for fresh air), do you think that would protect my girls from the Dreaded Virus, transmitted via droppings from wild birds? If not, why not?

And, how long do you think my four birds could live in this "regulation-sized" dome?

And if I covered the other three clover circles with that polyester/Reemay/gauzey stuff, do you think that would keep out the bird droppings and prevent the contamination of the circles so I could safely move the dome? And if the liquified droppings went through the mesh (which allows sunlight and rain through), would Nature just wash it down beyond the surface, where the hardworking microherd would consume it?

There has been so much knee-jerk response to this (due, I'm sure, to the news coverage) that some people who have raised small chicks indoors are putting them outdoors "so they won't infect the children". Is it my imagination, or is that possibly the stupidest thing they could do? If the chicks aren't EXPOSED to virus, how could they CONTAMINATE the kids???

Any thoughts on my ramblings would be welcome. :)

Sue

19. Anissa

Anissa Junior Member

Most of the humans that have caught bird flu have done something really stupid like eat a chicken that has died from it!! The real worry is that a human with a flu then catches bird flu and the virus merge/mutate and it can be spread easily from human to human. If this happens we are in big trouble!!
    Sobering thoughts!!
    https://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2005/10/21-1113-8839.html

20. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Wait a minute!

I went to the source of the original quotation, The Brother Jonathan Gazette, and read several of the associated articles, and ran into a problem.

First, I'm fine with the possible/probable history on the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918. It makes quite a bit of sense.

And I'm also fine with the advice on not taking aspirin or other related painkillers when you think you're coming down with the flu or a cold. If the attending info is correct (and it probably is), it seems a reasonable approach.

BUT right in the middle of the article, it says "Skip all the CDC recommended flu shots. They are much more dangerous killers than any Influenza. Here's why..." and it goes on to tell you why you shouldn't take aspirin if you're coming down with the flu.

Now, I can make an associated jump from Point A to Point B with the best of them, but I fell into the chasm with this one.

What does not taking aspirin have to do with not taking flu shots???

Those two suggestions are not even marginally related, as far as I can tell. And once he makes the above statement, he never mentions flu shots again, and doesn't make even one argument to back up his statement.

I know that there are people out there that don't believe in vaccinations. They don't get them for themselves and they don't get them for their kids. And then, when their kid comes down with polio or diptheria or something, it's always someone else's fault.

When I was a kid, there was a disease called Smallpox. Remember it, anyone? It was a terrible disfiguring, killing disease. But it doesn't exist anymore (well, not outside biological warfare labs, anyway). And it didn't disappear because people ate organic food, exercised, became vegetarians, went to church twice on Sundays, or was wished out of existence. The ONLY reason it doesn't exist anymore is because it was vaccinated out of existence in every country on the face of the earth. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Polio made lots of cripples and put people into iron lungs until they died of old age or pneumonia. But the only reason it seems to pop up now is when pseudo-all-knowing people flatly refuse to vaccinate their kids.

Flu vaccine is a killed vaccine, and has been since about 1970. YOU CANNOT GET THE FLU FROM THE VACCINE. You can listen to or parrot the drivel from the naysayers, but you still can't get the flu, or anything else, from a flu shot. If you ever got a flu shot and then came down with the flu, you were incubating it when you were vaccinated. It's happened to me: Flu shot on Thursday, and I came down with the flu on Saturday. The flu has an incubation period of 10-14 days, no matter what anyone says. You can't change it by saying it isn't so, because you'd like to think it was true, because you want a reason not to have to get a shot, or because you faint when you see a needle.

Okay, maybe they don't work as well as hoped. After the virus moves through a couple of million people, it could probably mutate enough so you get another form of the flu and the shot doesn't work as great as was anticipated (I'm guessing here).

But flatly saying that flu shots don't work is just like telling the Emperor that his new clothes look absolutely grand! If people can't face the truth or a needle, fine, but they shouldn't be spreading fiction as fact, and the editor of The Brother Jonathan Gazette should be ashamed of himself.

Sue