Chile needs your help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Grifen2, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Grifen2

Grifen2 Junior Member

Hi im Grifen from Chile. We need your help. Does anyone have good information for do it yourself water filters? I have in memory a japanese guy making bamboo charcoal and filters...ideas? Design details and budgets? Government is cocking it up already here! Love from Chile, Grifen
    PS You can help by making donations at the Permaculture Research Institute. We need 50 or so of you to donate a grand and we are set to make a huge difference here. Whenever you are in Chile my hospitality is yours.
    Please forward this to other appropriate lists.
    We also need info about:
    - biofilters designs and details....we have a lot of stuff from brazil...but need materials lists.
    - emotional resilience, if you have references?
    - design for disaster...anything about new thinking in disaster preparation. we have exhausted wikipedia and the UN. need quality information on design of whole communities in disaster situations...case studies.
    - design details and budgets for solar hot water heaters.
    - PV systems for lighting
    - the design of the pumps from gavitas in columbia.
    - design details and materials lists for non-emergency housing, local materials, bio, owner build, preferably round pole post and beam with light clay straw, light roof....we are getting a lot of info but little specific details.

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Huge ask grifen
    here's my little bit. I saw once that effective water filters are made from mixing coffee grounds with the clay. Formed in the shape of a pot the coffee is burnt off in firing and the microscopic holes left will clean water well. There is so much more and I get the feeling this info would be available to you. We do a design for disaster in the PDC but I get the distinct impression for some reason that you want something more.
    Building community is always a great tool in disaster management but needs to happen before it is required.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Grifen,

Sounds like you're "boots on the ground" in Chile? Where are you working?

As an option to constructing a filter from scratch, here's a water filtering system used in disaster and relief efforts around the world, very simple to assemble.
    This page describes the filter system: https://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter
    This page shows prices for the various filter options: https://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter
    System specifications: https://static.monolithic.com/pdfs/dripfilter/FiltrSpecs.pdf

Two food-grade 5 gallon buckets (or larger container) with tight fitting lids - cost ~$5.00 each here in the states
    One filter kit (contains ceramic 0.5 micron filter, sediment cover bag, and spigot) - $23.50
    Drill/boring device to put holes in the buckets (1/2 inch and 3/4 inch holes required)

This page has detailed assembly instructions and a downloadable .pdf file: https://www.monolithic.com/stories/water-filtration-system
    As you can see below, it gives you clean water and I've used mine to filter cistern water when my bore pump broke. For the price, I highly recommend this filter.

Filter specs:

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Here is an idea for a simple, strong, easy to build roofing system for a house. In the instance linked below it was used with a cob house, but could easily be adapted for use with an earth-bag home or almost any other structure. It's made with locally available materials and may be a good solution for your housing needs.

Reciprocal Roof

[​IMG]

How to build the Reciprocal Roof: https://small-scale.net/yearofmud/2008/11/26/how-to-build-a-reciprocal-roof-frame/

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Grifen

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Our mob (Planning Institute of Australia) do a bit of work in this field:

Post Tsunami Reconstruction Planning Support Project Sri Lanka

The above is a very comprehensive coverage of an ongoing program.

I trust the information will be of some help.

Marko