Chickens and Compost

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Terra, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Terra

Terra Moderator

On the Home Page https://permaculturenews.org/2013/12/06/grow-chickens-without-buying-grain-feeding-compost/ article that's caught Geoffs interest , and of course mine , sorry don't know how to compress the link maybe someone can teach me 8) .

I have a Woodrow style chicken dome with 4 sussex in it they hardly eat any grain providing I keep the patch damp and throw enough stuff in , I have another 4 in my fruit tree run that are shifted out as fruit forms , I also have some legorns in a traditional style run I would like to have birds free range but I think it wouldn't be long and the food garden would be hammered and scratched (dry here now the birds would hunt the green pick) .

Im thinking a large composting pile behind the chook run might be the solution with a predator proof entry / exit to the chook house , bit sad for the worms of course I can access it with my front end loader .
    Rob

2. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Hi Rob, If you are using Google, they have an extension for shorting url links. works well ... well that one has been removed but here is another one Extension --- goo.gl URL Shortener is its name. hope this helps :)

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Type a word like 'here' or 'video', copy the link you want to add, highlight your word, click on the link to webpage icon, paste the page details in and click OK. It'll hide the URL under the word that you highlighted.

4. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Thanks Eco, will remember that .... I hope :)

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Nut uh buddy, I think I got a better idea... and being summer down there, I think you are in prime spot to try my theory out.

As per how Zaytuna does chicken runs but I twisted it.

Steps to reproduce Paka's Chicken Tractor on Steroids:

1. Set up hot compost pile in area chicken tractor is moving into. Make sure it is large, and gets hot.
    2. Wait 1 to 4 days for the compost to get to a temp of 120 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit (49 to 77 degrees Celsius).
    3. Move electric fencing, chicken tractor, and chooks to new area, tractor 3m from compost pile with chook tractor exit facing the pile.
    4. Wait 1 week & then repeat steps 1 & 2.
    5. When compost pile is no longer appetizing to the chooks, move to next cell as per step 3; or after 2 weeks. ((You know the Woodrow system, see what I did there?))

Any compost left in a pile can either be used for establishing new plants in that cell, or just spread around the entire cell if the chooks haven't already. The real "X" factor is learning what size to make the compost pile for the amount of chooks you have & the size area they are in.

Thoughts?

Edit #2 - I can't wait to see what Geoff comes up with compared to my thought.

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

Its easy to see how you could adapt this feed system to small or broad scale , we can use poultry on large paddocks but still ending up feeding a lot , I was raiding worms from my compost pile all winter to feed my aquaponic fish ( they go off pellet feed when the water is cold but will eat live food ) and didn't make a dent in the worm numbers , so a large compost pile once worms moved in would provide plenty , the chickens are eating a lot more than just worms from these piles . When the pile is hot the worms would only be on the edges .

If I didn't have to worry about funds I could fence off the area around the chook run and they could go for it , they would solve one off my biggest worries each spring this is the direction where dangerous fires come from each year I mow mow and hard graze with horses to smash it down bare and im thinking if I run a compost pile the chooks will stay in that area without fencing .