chicken tractors on hills?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ilvpermaculture, Oct 31, 2009.

1. ilvpermaculture

ilvpermaculture Junior Member

Has anyone had success with using chicken tractors on hills, and/or slopes. I always wondered if chicken tractors worked on slopes. Or does the ground have to be flat?
    My food forest is on a south facing hill. I know that some parts would not work, but was hoping that there was something I could do to get the chicken tractors to work, on the slope parts?
    I have Easter Egg chickens, in a house and run setup. And was hoping on getting some meat birds, and putting them in some ark style tractors. And stop having to lay black plastic to kill grass were I want to plant a garden, or a cover crop.(just to name one of the wonderful benefits of chicken tractors!) I would greatly appreciate any tips anyone has for using chicken tractors on slopes, if it would even work. I have never seen a chicken tractor working in person. Thanks

2. Bird

Bird Junior Member

Re: chicken tractors on hills?

Hi ilv

Depending on angle of the slope and type of tractor used, i cant see why not, light weight dome types may need pegging on upper side of slope to stop it tipping over if angle is on large size, but that should be no biggie. Of course you will need to place roosts, nest box and water dish to suit.

Bird

3. ilvpermaculture

ilvpermaculture Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response. I like the idea of the light weight dome I can peg down. Maybe I can mix the designs with the light weight dome design, and have a second floor with a ramp leading up to it, like in a ark design. I have not really looked into the light weight dome plans. Are there any light weight dome designs that have a second floor? I am sure it would be easy to throw in there.

4. Bird

Bird Junior Member

Hi Ilv

Cant quite comprehend why you want a second story in a chook tractor, My interprtation of a chook tractor is as a tool for preparing a garden bed, or clearing an area in preperation of other purpose removal of weeds seeds ect. are you after a tractor or a coop, it still can be done but on a slope chances of tipping over would be much greater than single story.
    Do chooks realy need a penthouse? when i get a cluckie one in a dome i just move the nest box with chook to coop and put new nest box in tractor.

There are no such things as problems, just chances to provide solutions!

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I use a Linda Woodrow style dome. There is no need for a second level. There's a roost in the upper part of the dome, and the nesting boxes go on the ground. Easy peasy. Don't make it more complicated than you need. Chooks are simple souls. No need for chandeliers or broad band access.

6. greenfarmers

greenfarmers Junior Member

Hi Ilv..

We have been using the geodesic dome design, mentioned in the mandala thread, on a fairly steep site for a couple of months now. Works wonderfully because the pipe has flex, so allows for uneven ground and the wire skirt (helps stop dogs, foxes, goanas and snakes) also helps to seal other gaps.

Tarp over dome works well, although we also have a left-over piece of aircell bubble-wrap insulation between the dome and tarp. Chooks seem happy with the roost in the top and it's quite protected if you get the angle and cover of the tarp right - i.e it makes a little "room" effect up top ...

We used to have a mcallum rectangular chook tractor, but found that heavy and difficult to use on a slope and uneven ground - couldn't get it to sit evenly enough to make the pen secure from predators. Plus it was hell to manouvre on the slope.

So from our experience the dome is quite adaptable -- tent pegs secure ours on a very windy site and make sure tarp is pegged to the ground and not the dome - this stops the dome turning into a kite.

Good luck with your research.

Heidi

7. janahn

janahn Junior Member

run a long thin chicken tractor on the contour, back and forth, and it will mound an earth bank, or terrace for you.
    Many species of animals may be utilised to form swales/terraces if managed accordingly.

www.janahn.com.au

8. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

eco,

lmao