chicken diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by heftzwecke, Aug 16, 2010.

1. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

One of our chickens has diarrhoea. What should I do?

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Any other symptoms? Standing around doing nothing? Sleeping a lot?

3. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

She has poo on her feathers and mainly stays inside, her eyes are clear. I popped some chamomile tea in the drinking water. Usually I use garlic porridge if there is a flue or if it's cold but this does not seem to be a flue.
    And it's very cold and windy.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I'm no expert but I reckon it might be worth getting her into a nice warm spot for a while, not only for her health but also to keep her away from the others if she does have something to worry about. There are some great forums on poultry out there. Try this one here

Hassan R Warraich likes this.
  5. floot

floot Junior Member

Your chicken would appear to have a bad case of coccidiosis. Often more apparent in wet conditions. Coccidiosis is caused by coccidea are minute protozoa parasites and generally species specific. Normally we only see it in cage birds and chooks. It can result in death.

I believe it is fairly endemic in the environment but is never normally apparent in most household flocks. You can buy coccidiosis 'medicines' at the supermarket.

Isolate the chook to somewhere dry and warm. Immediately medicate it with the medicine and follow the instructions.

Also, make sure your chooks have access to a dry area and dont toss their food direct onto damp manure infected ground. Get them a feeder. I would also go as far as to medicate the rest of the flock. I am not a fan of medicating for the hell of it. This is a preventable disease, under normal circumstances. Garlic and a little sulphur in the water occasionally seems to work wonders.

Whilst a specific parasite is responsible for the disease I believe it is always in the environment/chickens and stress factors like over-crowding, wet conditions, relocating, poor water, hygiene, egg laying and even old age seem to kick it off. I cant ever remember a rooster developing this condition.

Read up on this disease if you own chickens. I have owned poultry for most of the past 45 years and can remember losing two birds to this condition. One was a Wyandotte show bantam purchased unseen and it arrived in poor shape. The other was a favourite hen I had that was about 12 years old. I was pretty sad at the time but maybe the coccidiosis [and it can] masked an even more serious affliction.

cheers,

Hassan R Warraich likes this.