Charles from Innaloo, Perth WA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by charlesinnaloo, May 13, 2010.

1. charlesinnaloo

charlesinnaloo Junior Member

Hi Folks,
    I came across this forum while writing presentation for Permaculture WA Association's Re-Skilling Event and thought I should find some interesting people in here.

I am a chemical engineer, retired at 30 :) to look after our two girls, 2 and 4. To keep myself sane I got stuck into gardening and ecosystem creation in the backyard. I spent many hours of my youth helping my mum on a farm in Pemberton, and while it felt like I only ever dug holes I am sure she taught me a lot as well. Anyway as the circle of life goes I am now forcing my kids to dig holes, but of course they love it, as all kids do, because they have no issues/worries and enjoy nature for what it is amazing and fun.

Anyway hope to chat in the forums a lot, I am putting together a seed and plant material bank of edible (preferably hard to get) plants so that those of us in poor old isolated WA can get hold of the good oil. So you will definitely see me begging for ideas, and tips where to get or how to get certain plants. I am keen to spread the love as well so will post up a plant/seed list at some time, in some manner if there is enough interest and try and keep it up to date.

So I would love to hear from all the West Aussies here especially as Mr Quarrantine is not so nice to our diversity requirements in WA.
    Thanks for listening. Cheers, Charles Otway

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Welcome Charles, Great to hear your story.

Reminds me of a book I once read called Holes.

In my younger days a few friends and I used to go on a regeneration day, mostly with old retired folks with nothing better to do with their time. Half the time we would just walk and talk shite. We once came up with the idea of a TV series that involved us being transported into another time or place with only our water bottle and a shovel. Each week/episode we would find ourselves in a situation that required us to use our shovel in various ways to get out of trouble. We even thought about using our shovel as a BBQ hot plate etc. I would still love to see someone make that show :)

Welcome aboard