Central Texas Permaculture Project on 11 acre wooded farm

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by [email protected], Aug 1, 2014.

1. TxPermFarmer@Gmail.Com

[email protected] New Member

I began this demonstration and education project on an 11 acre heavily wooded lot outside of Luling Texas in May of 2013. The first year has been spent in observing the land and slowly clearing areas using a 14 inch cheap chainsaw and a post hole diggger for fencing. I'm pretty much doing this by myself so progress is slow at times, but it gives me a chance to really observe and plan elements well.

Currently I just finished clearing the highest point on the land to install what will be the first of 8 water retention aqua-culture ponds and a series of large swales on contour connecting the ponds across the land. Next surveying and marking.. and then bring int he tractor to dig.

You can follow my progress on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CampbellFamilyFarm OR at the WorldWide Permaculture Network https://www.permacultureglobal.com/projects/1554-campbell-family-farm.

Her eis the rough draft mark up of the overall layout of the farm will be [​IMG]

2. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Looks interesting! Nice wooded lot there. How will you be providing feed for the fish? Will you all use agroforestry techniques to have perennial sources of fish food?

3. TxPermFarmer@Gmail.Com

Thanks for the reply!
    The aqua-culture harvest fish we are stalking in our ponds are all live-fish predators. This means they prefer a living food source such as small bait fish like minnows or shad, small crustaceans, or even insects. We will be stocking our ponds with crustaceans such as Crayfish, Fathead Minnows, and Blue Gill Perch for all of our live food requirements for the top level harvest fish.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Nice! Are you going to grow and produce your own wines and olive products on site or resell others?

5. TxPermFarmer@Gmail.Com

We will sale our products exclusively. The Wine Market in Central Texas is very competitive because this is the Wine Region of Texas so we may focus more on speciality Olive Oil than the wine although we will have some bottles sold.

6. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Very nice project! What a good plan you have started.

7. Thoreauzine

Thoreauzine New Member

I really love what you're doing there! It really fits well with the region. My family is all from that area of Texas, Nixon/Leesville/Gonzales, I still have title to and old church site that has my GG grandparents and other family members graves. I'll continue to follow your progress and use you as inspiration on my own project on the Edwards Plateau. BTW, I live in San Antonio. I'd be willing to come assist with some labor in exchange for the learning experience.:)