Cassurena Companions

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tegs, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

I am wondering what species would be suitable to plant in between some cassureena. I have two rows approximatly 4 metres apart with tree spacings of approx 4 metres. Is there a fruit tree that would thrive in such a position? I was even contemplating sandalwood trees. It is quite shady but I have begun removing most of the lower branches and this has increased the available light somewhat. The cassureenas would have to be at least 5 metres or more tall.

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I was reading recently that Banana's were good companions to Casuarina. I've never grown either though so can't answer from personal experience.

3. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

depends on the species, there are a number. actually is more dependant on your soil type as to what species are there. sandy, or boggy?

bannanas sound appropriate if the soil is a bit boggy. not too clued up on what grows in sandy soils personally, so add a bit of info on that and the others may have some suggestions.

4. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

I am unsure of the exact species. The soil is quite heavy clay but it is on a high point of the property so standing water is not a problem. Hmmn bananas I hadn't thought of them, so I guess any subtropical understory plant would work really. What about coffee?

5. permup

permup Junior Member

I might be completely wrong, but I wouldn't think you would get much to grow under a casuarina. The acidity of the soil due to the pines makes it virtually inhospitable to anything else. I know strawberries love acid soil, as do blueberries, and neither need huge amounts of light. Maybe they would work? Although as memory serves me, I think blueberries need clay soils, so it will also depend on what soils you have.

6. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

They are nitrogen fixers aren't they?

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Yep, one of a few trees that are nitrogen fixers.

8. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

9. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

Thanks for that permasculptor, I have thought about growing cashew nut trees as I have heard that they are really easy to grow around these parts. But I am put off by stories of processing the nuts to remove the nasty acid. It might be worth a try though.