Can't delete account.

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by Jed_S, Feb 21, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It embarrasses me that I love the Moth Vine flowers. To me they look similar to the beautiful native creeper, Wonga-Wonga vine : /

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    What have you tried with the convolvulus? Do you want some input? I helped a friend deal with this in her garden, but it may be different conditions than yours.[/QUOTE]

For example, on the roadside rock wall, I just left everything to do its own thing and when the vine started to show flowers but before they opened, took to it with the secateurs, rolled it up, let it all dry and took it to the dump. What was growing on the flat- I grabbed handfuls of vines and drew it all to me, (its growing over the top of the grass here) and did the same, came up in sheets.

Where its growing up trellises, I just cutoff each vine and let it die in place, so far only one spot behind the garage that I cant get to that has flowered.
    Did similar things in the garden itself, no flowers, ots of mulch so its growing quite shallow so it pulls up in long sheets- have to cut these where they are tangled in the vegies tho
    Its never ending, especially seeing as it grows all over the town where people seem to treat it as a lovely hide-all.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    omg, people are growing it intentionally?!? Do you think you are also getting seed from offsite?

Sounds like you are doing good things. It apparently dislikes disturbed soil, so in the places where you can do this, weed, dig, hoe, plant annuals so that there is more disturbance of the soil. Ad nauseum.

I just found out that my mum sprays hers by rolling up the vegetation, putting it in a black plastic bag, spraying it, tying the bag shut and leaving the whole plant for a few weeks to die. This kills the root too. She then pulls it up and puts it in the rubbish collection. I'm wondering if there is something less toxic than the herbicide, but still effective. A combination of light exclusion, heat, and perhaps something like vinegar or salt?

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I'm pretty sure it turned up from seed drifting from the railway line. It was everywhere then they sparayed something really potent and even now not much grows there.
    The other people,I think just admire it as it arrives rather than deliberately sowing it, but then, they dont seem to be growing much of anything so they are probably thrilled to have something to hide all the nasty fences and sheds.

Just finished reading 'Creative sustainable gardening in NZ' by Diana Anthony. Said that 3 day old pee would kill couch grass so I am going to age today lot for a week seeing as convovulus is more noxious.
    There you go OP, try that on your Singapore Daisies!!!

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I can absolutely guarantee you that right-out-of-the-faucet bitches piss kills couch grass. I have multiple dead spots on my lawn to prove it :)