Cane Toad Traps

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by ho-hum, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Here is a link to The Inventors show on a cane toad trap that is really making a difference to life in the Top End.

https://www.abc.net.au/newinventors/txt/s1482721.htm

Even people who have natural water, soaks & dams are saying that they are [in the Dry Season] removing entire local populations of cane toads. It is advised you freeze the toads and then toss them into a handy post hole with a handful of lime over the top and cover with dirt.

Continuing newspaper reports indicate that the cane toad has been virtually stopped on the outskirts of Darwin, mainly due to people using traps and being diligent.

Sadly, it is only effective on adult toads but every effort counts. I would encourage anyone who lives with this awful amphibian to invest in some sort of trap. I had success with one of those cheap solar garden lights suspended over an empty post hole. A lot of toads fell in and either didnt bother or couldnt climb out.

floot

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Yeah, it's a clever, simple and effective idea that trap Mike.

I hear the occasional report about native wildlife adapting and learning which parts of cane toads they can eat...in your experience and that of other locals you have contact with, is that making any impact or is it only isolated cases?

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Jez,

I did a consultancy at Macarthur River Mine in 98 and the crows there had learned to flip the cane toads and eat the innards out. The most notable victim I have seen of the cane toad is the black-shouldered kite or shithawk, as they are called locally. These are the raptors that follow fires and are big into roadkill.

More recently scientists believe that the cane toads are leading to a massive boom in freshwater croc numbers because the natural predators of 'freshie' eggs is the goanna [amongst others] and all of these egg-eaters have succumbed to the cane toad.

One door closes, another one opens....

mike

4. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks Mike...shame we didn't have the foresight to keep that particular door closed.

Still, it's encouraging to know that many vigilant folk up your way are having some success stopping the march. Fom what I've seen and heard, folks on the northern WA border are going to show similar vigilance.